Investing in Oil Stocks...?

By joshuatrio follow joshuatrio   2021 Feb 16, 8:28am 114 views   7 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

Any seasoned traders in here with words of wisdom about investing in petroleum companies? I'm looking at these stocks like a no lose situation with Biden at the helm - as he seems hell bent on taking us back to the stone age and making oil products expensive as hell. I know there's more to the story, but these seem like a good buy with long term potential over the next year.

I'm in $LPI for about 500 shares at $30, and so far it's cruising up. Looking at BORR and CPE as well.
1   Patrick   ignore (1)   2021 Feb 16, 2:09pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Oil stocks are very volatile. I don't feel qualified to know how they are likely to go, so I stay away.
2   noobster   ignore (0)   2021 Feb 17, 11:52am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OKE (natural gas and the pipe infrastructure for it) dropped 75% when the oil price war and corona news hit about a year ago. They've recovered most of it, but after this cold weather, I'm betting states (Texas especially) will lean on nat gas as a backup plan. Its cheap, clean, and mostly unaffected by weather.

It didn't make sense why OKE dropped that much, natural gas isn't really affected by global prices.

I'm sure there are other ways to invest in nat gas also.
3   theoakman   ignore (0)   2021 Feb 17, 12:09pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

XOM was screaming buy a few months ago when they stayed put on their dividend. Its gone up significantly since then. The yield is still attractive but that was the sweet spot to get in IMO.
4   Blue   ignore (0)   2021 Feb 17, 12:26pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Also watch out that lot of auto makers are seriously working on EV models that may have impact on oil.
5   Blue   ignore (0)   2021 Feb 17, 12:30pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Check forecast models for 2021, US looking better than international. I would suggest some kind of us based index fund. You can pick growth funds if you are willing to take a bit volatility.
6   FuckCCP89   ignore (5)   2021 Feb 17, 12:52pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

noobster says

If this cold weather taught us anything it would be the fact that nat gas is very much affected by it.
7   EBGuy   ignore (1)   2021 Feb 17, 1:42pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Kicking myself for not buying more FENY when it was below $8. It's currently at $12.50. Everybody's pulled back on their capital investment programs, so it's just a matter of time. But will the bottom fall out before prices (continue) to rise as earnings ARE negative..