CA - how many people are coming vs going in 2020?

By BayArea follow BayArea   2020 Oct 1, 6:22am 415 views   12 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

I recall reading that 2019 was the first year that more people left CA than came, but not by a huge margin.

I wonder what it is in 2020 during the pandemic and the fires?

I’m struggling to find recent data in this short of hysterical articles only talking about “CA exodus” which ignore that numbers that are still coming.

Anyone have data to share?

And the blue locusts taking their politics over to places like Portland, Seattle, Denver, and Austin to destroy those cities aren’t winning anyone over.
1   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2020 Oct 1, 9:43am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Welcome to all new Democratic voters!
2   clambo   ignore (5)   2020 Oct 1, 10:30am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I have no data rather anecdotal evidence.

Some retired people are leaving, I know several. They sold houses and escaped high taxes.

I know others who want to leave, but can’t decide just yet.

I’m leaving to escape taxes and have fun diving, boating, beaching and etc.

When you write a check for several thousand dollars “Franchise Tax Board” it tends to sharpen the mind about ways to save money.
3   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2020 Oct 1, 10:45am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My wife has been talking about Round Rock or Austin lakeside Texas. If we go there, we will wear signs proclaiming we will never vote Democrat again as long as we live. And I don't always like the Republicans, either.
4   Rb6d   ignore (0)   2020 Oct 1, 11:00am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ceffer says
Round Rock or Austin lakeside Texas

San Antonio is better IMHO, try visiting it - fewer hipsters and damned progressives
5   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Oct 1, 11:42am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Brd6 says
Ceffer says
Round Rock or Austin lakeside Texas

Haven't been to SA, but I wouldn't go near 40 miles of Austin unless it was for work. Austin is lost.
6   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2020 Oct 1, 11:59am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I think there are a few on her list. Of course, I told her we would have to spend some time at a prospective before making a decision.

I sure don't want to go back to a hot progressive mess. It used to be entertaining in Cali, now it's gotten threatening.
7   Rb6d   ignore (0)   2020 Oct 1, 12:40pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ceffer says

SA has a lot of history relative to the rest of USA (missions and Alamo, the latter is a tourist trap tho), climate is a little drier than Austin, and if you like hiking, there are a lot of options nearby and it is about 5 hrs to Big Bend which is among the best hiking one can find anywhere. There is good wine near Fredericksburg and ocean is a few hrs away at Corpus - much better water than near Galveston.

Austin is California East these days, with homeless everywhere and virtue signalling libruls running the asylum.
8   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2020 Oct 1, 12:55pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Brd6 says

Yuck.
9   clambo   ignore (5)   2020 Oct 1, 1:06pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Around Austin is Okay and even though it's getting a bit "progressive", at least you're not paying out the ass in taxes. Hipster opinions don't bother me if I don't have to pay someone else's expenses.

I'd go there if I didn't like the beach and diving so much in Florida. The friendly local females are frosting on the cake.
11   EBGuy   ignore (0)   2020 Oct 1, 5:19pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This is how things stood at the end of last year:
Notably, said Eddie Hunsinger, a demographer with the Department of Finance, even though the net international migration added to the state’s population, there was substantial negative domestic net migration, which resulted in a loss of 39,500 residents. This, said the department, marks “the first time since the 2010 census that California has had more people leaving the state than moving in from abroad or other states.”
Bear in mind that, we've been bleeding residents for a while: “In the past, California would be growing because immigration would counteract domestic outmigration,” he said. “The outmigration is in places where housing prices are high and therefore immigration is not being able to counter that.”
Now couple that with the pandemic and the suspension of H1-B visas.
12   just_passing_through   ignore (8)   2020 Oct 1, 7:07pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Brd6 speaks the truth!

I'd just dial that in by also saying San Antonio is much larger and quite a bit cheaper than Austin. Also more importantly if you're thinking of moving there you want to look in the North West. In particular if you can buy in the hill country you're golden for quite a while.