What are the Positives coming out of Corona Virus

By BayArea follow BayArea   2020 Apr 5, 6:27am 1,949 views   97 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

We are well versed in the negatives of Corona Virus. Are there any positives?

- As Warren Buffet so famously said, “Buy the dip, faggot”. It’s creating stock market buying opportunities.

- China is being even further exposed as a giant piece of shit. It’s forcing the globalists to rethink globalism. This mess will serve to bring back some fraction of jobs back home to the good ‘ol USA. It’s certainly forcing us to rethink the reliance on China for things like medication and surgical masks!

- I’m not spending 8-10hrs in my car commuting. I’m working from home and just about as productive as I was physically going in the office. Roll out of bed, go for a quick jog around the neighborhood, grab a coffee, and at my desk in no time.

- I’m seeing more of my immediate family. This is a positive or negative depending on how you see your family but I’m enjoying seeing my wife and kids more.

- A part of me is actually enjoying seeing life slow down a bit. We were moving so fast, so much traffic, congestion, events, etc etc etc. my calendar was always so constantly full that it was at times overwhelming.

- All the silly BS social stuff is cancelled... kids birthdays, silly holidays, etc.. you know, the stuff you are obligated to go to but go reluctantly lol. I fucking love that part LOL

- Roads are empty! I’ve rediscovered the thrill of driving. It’s amazing. I can go out for a spirited drive and not have to wait and wait and wait for the car in front of me.

I think what the pandemic is making me realize is that I may prefer the slower suburban life compared to the big city bustle at this stage of my life.

What are some unintended benefits of the pandemic that you’ve discovered?

« First    « Previous    Comments 58 - 97 of 97    Last »

58   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 6, 12:31pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The Sacred Panic Pandemic has represented a terrible loss of social programming and Progressive indoctrination of students. It's a terrible thing when students wind up being smarter because they didn't attend school.
59   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 6, 12:41pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NoCoupForYou says
WookieMan says
You know what the next thing will be, right? Trump didn't do enough for the mental health sector when it comes out that 10's of thousands of people above the average killed themselves because of lost jobs and businesses. It's almost like there's a script for this...

YUP. You're correct to mention the Demmedia's handwaving going on about the mental health of unemployed/shut-in people.

Jumped the gun. Boris is in the ICU now. Maybe in 2 weeks I'll be right. Who the hell knows where the storyline goes now....
60   ThreeBays   ignore (4)   2020 Apr 6, 12:52pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
It has nothing to do with suppression. That's all a guess with a new virus. We could still end up with 2M dead this year with current precautions. The best math we have on this is less than 30 days old, basically it's pretty shitty and guesswork. Not one person on this planet is an expert on this virus and the consequences. You're more than welcome to put blind faith into bullshit. I won't stop you. And no, I'm not saying this doesn't exist or kill people.

Well, what you were saying is "it's statistically impossible". Now you're actually being reasonable and saying, it's possible but we can't know at this point because we're still guessing at the reality. That's the right way to think about it.

Let's all be honest. The largest US city is potentially starting to plateau. I know at the end of this you'll be able to grab some model and tell us all you were right. That's because everyone is throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks and you're buying all of it until you can be right. That's where we are at right now and you call it math. It's not math. Math may be involved, but be honest with yourself and understand that most of the "math" is complete bullshit guesswork. The fucking doctors and scientist admit as much...

There's a difference between saying models are just guesswork, and concluding they have no value. That guesswork gives us a range of reasonable possibilities from best case to worst case. I still put more weight on getting a range of possibilities from the experts, than on using my gut feelings about it. Most people don't have an instinctive idea what exponential growth and saturation in a population of 300 Million actually can look like.
61   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 6, 1:07pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ThreeBays says

What science is there behind a new virus where China has absolutely bull shitted their data? We're going off Europe, that has completely different demographics, that is two weeks ahead of NYC. This is all guesswork. You can apply math to it, but that still doesn't mean shit. I'm not saying there aren't virus experts out there, but they are experts on EXISTING virus'.

This could completely fizzle out in 2 weeks. It could roar back and kill 5M Americans. No one has a clue. The defense of people with no clue is staggering. We're generally in the period of the unknown, it's okay to admit that. We've likely overacted. I don't care about the politics. Just truth. We've haven't gotten that. Giving scientist and doctors carte blanche in stating fact and fiction in a brand new virus is pure stupidity. Question everything right now.
62   ThreeBays   ignore (4)   2020 Apr 6, 1:09pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FWIW here's a basic US model I implemented.

The highest line shows the potential unmitigated epidemic, assuming R0 of 2.5 and fatality rate of 1%. The curve rises exponentially and drops as the virus runs out of people to infect.

The other lines have suppression introduced from 03-11-20. We can't know exactly how well suppression works, so I give results with a range of assumed R values. As we get more data we'll be able to estimate what effect suppression really had on R. Current data from Italy looks more like the 0.9 graph, while Spain seems to be tracking lower.

The point of this is not to predict the "exact" result, only to understand the range of possible results based on the information we currently have. As they say -- hope for the best, plan for the worst. That's exactly why we are in a lock-down while we figure out the real numbers, because the assumed worst case is so bad that we can't be driving blind into that.
63   Rb6d   ignore (0)   2020 Apr 6, 1:16pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I might be wrong, but R0 has dropped to about 1.5 a few days ago.
We also need to distinguish those who die with Coronavirus will inflate the CFR as opposed to those that died from Coronavirus, which will deflate the CFR.
This: https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_17_marzo-v2.pdf
is in Italian but what they say is that out of 300 dead with corona, only 3 did not have major health issues prior to catching corona (Tabella 1)
64   MisdemeanorRebel   ignore (3)   2020 Apr 6, 1:19pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

* Confused Fake News out of step with each other on the Narrative Push.

65   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 6, 1:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NoCoupForYou says
Confused Fake News out of step with each other on the Narrative Push.

Fake News straining at stools and sharting itself.
66   ThreeBays   ignore (4)   2020 Apr 6, 1:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NoCoupForYou says
* Confused Fake News out of step with each other on the Narrative Push.

One is Mar 6 and the other March 30. The fake news is whoever made this side-by-side.
67   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 6, 1:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rd6B says
I might be wrong, but R0 has dropped to about 1.5 a few days ago.

Bingo. Math....
68   ThreeBays   ignore (4)   2020 Apr 6, 1:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rd6B says
I might be wrong, but R0 has dropped to about 1.5 a few days ago.

There are many R0 depending on which country, wearing mask, contact tracing, social distancing, etc. Which one are we talking about here?

rd6B says

Saying "major health issues" is a stretch. The main co-morbidities are hypertension, diabetes, obesity, ... very common conditions. Two out of three Americans over 60 have hypertension.
69   Rb6d   ignore (0)   2020 Apr 6, 1:44pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If people are stuck on a cruise ship (worst case scenario) R0 is ca 2.3 - this is obviously too high of an estimate for real situations. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32097725

I can not find the graph I saw about 2 days ago - Sweden has R0 of 1.5 which is constant, and in US in nearly all states it was down to ca 1.5-1.7 after quarantines. I'll post it if/when I track it down.
70   Onvacation   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 6, 3:24pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ThreeBays says
NoCoupForYou says
* Confused Fake News out of step with each other on the Narrative Push.

Or maybe Trump repeated Cuomo's statement from early March?
71   MisdemeanorRebel   ignore (3)   2020 Apr 6, 3:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ThreeBays says

Three whole weeks apart! People are stealing the masks, except when Trump repeats my claim, then they aren't.
72   Onvacation   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 6, 3:27pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ThreeBays says

"Common" does not make them less major. Obesity, diabetes, and hypertension are major and are often caused by the actions of the victim. So yes, major.
73   ThreeBays   ignore (4)   2020 Apr 6, 3:56pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Onvacation says

That's fine, but let's not hide around the fact that "major health issues" is being bandied about to try to make it sound like those people were on death's doorstep already. Around 2/3 of 60+ have hypertension, and 1/3 of other adults have hypertension, and they're not all about to keel any day now.
75   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (3)   2020 Apr 8, 1:40pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

joshuatrio says
All the attention seeking antifa/sjw/tranny/alphabet pronoun people have suddenly lost their voice now that shit actually hit the fan. It's nice not to hear their daily bullshit and protests now that they are stuck at home with mommy and daddy.

I was talking about the virus with some friends the other day and a black lady in our group turned this convo into an anti Trump, pro Obama, racists conversation. Since shit has actually hit the fan, I told her to shut the fuck up as it had nothing to do with Obama or race. She immediately shut her mouth as she realized all that racists bullshit they've been preaching the last 3 years has no room in our society anymore.

I see that too. Those morons still try to play old race card because no brain for anything else. But generally gets shut down because people care about survival not retarded shit.
77   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 8, 4:55pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ThreeBays says

Actually, yes they are at deaths door. You're exponentially more likely to die at 60+ from anything versus the rest of the population. Influenza or some other non-CV-19 pneumonia could kill them just as easy. Even a minor cancer diagnosis could knock them out in 30 days.

I know life expectancy in the US is something in the 70's. The only reason it's that high is because babies and kids rarely die anymore at young ages. Getting to 60 alone is an accomplishment. Why do you think the social security age is where it is?? There's a reason.
78   mell   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 8, 5:04pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
ThreeBays says

Also don't forget that you can be healthy at old age, but this isn't. Most of these conditions strictly by themselves can be talked down as not "severe", but they all interact with each other and are managed by pills (often creating other problems) vs naturally (losing weight, exercising). It's a billion dollar industry to manage these conditions rather than treating the root causes and making behavioral changes.
79   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2020 Apr 8, 6:05pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It is a billion dollar industry taking advantage of laziness. Every already knows the advantages of exercise. I remember long ago when I was in San Francisco, I saw that some guys were getting "pec implants." Why not just get in the habit of daily pushups or using the pec machine at the gym to build real muscle?
80   mell   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 8, 6:52pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says

Absolutely and the additional T you gain from working out makes banging the next hot chick marveling at your toned bod even more explosive. I often don't feel like exercising, but pushing yourself through the initial resistance is not that hard and afterwards you're always happier than before. It's a mystery to me that so many let themselves go, unfortunately that trend has accelerated much more in women than in men in past decades because of SJWs bullshit such as body positive and threats of charging people with hate crimes for calling out sloths, even many Ads for female clothing now feature a fat chick amongst average lookin plain janes who are maybe a 5 at best. Sure with the beauty pressure you always had a small percentage of bulimics/anorexics and other eating disorders, but we have traded those in for a much larger percentage (close to 40%) of overweight and obese, causing much more disease and death down the line, let alone frustration among couples and rejection. We need to reinstate the beach body as the ultimate goal and people will get healthier and happier.
81   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2020 Apr 8, 6:58pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, nothing like the feeling right after the shower after a workout, especially cardio. Good habit to get into.
82   NDrLoR   ignore (1)   2020 Apr 8, 7:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mell says
There's an ad for a bra that makes the point that in 1977 three women sewed two jock straps together to make the first sports bra. 1977--what a horrendous year! That's when they had the famous National Women's Conference in Houston--don't you know the commies flocked to that one and I'm sure Bella Abzug and Gloria Steinam took center stage. I doubt that it opened with a word of prayer.

83   mell   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 8, 7:04pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says

One of the masters from our dojo is around 70, works out 2 hours every day easily (used to be 3-4) and has the physique of a 35 year old - no exaggeration. Living proof that it can be done.
84   mell   ignore (6)   2020 Apr 8, 7:12pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NDrLoR says
mell says
There's an ad for a bra that makes the point that in 1977 three women sewed two jock straps together to make the first sports bra. 1977--what a horrendous year! That's when they had the famous National Women's Conference--don't you know the commies flocked to that one and I'm sure Bella Abzug and Gloria Steinam took center stage.

I never watch TV but there are occasional ads on the shows we stream and I swear I saw one the other night also for Bras where even those manly strong man sports women in this ad looked better than those featured in the ad interrupting our show. I have to see if I can find it. Yes, some aspects of beauty are genetic but so are talents for music, sports, art whatever. This is like airing an orchestra performance consisting of people without any talent and totally lacking the will to practice, who can't play their instruments at all.
85   Kepi   ignore (0)   2020 Apr 8, 7:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says

Gold!

The rest of your post was really good as well.
86   MisdemeanorRebel   ignore (3)   2020 Apr 8, 7:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says

I swear by dumbbell flies. 2/3 of my chest exercises now: four sets on the floor and one each on the incline and decline per week. I do change it up every few months with the pec deck for a week or so. Flies over presses are the key for a big chest, ask Scooby Werkstat, that guy is 60 and you can land a helicopter on his chest.
87   clambo   ignore (5)   2020 Apr 8, 7:35pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Not to troll wookie but blood pressure meds are very effective and people can be very robust at 60.

My father was 92 and only had one medication which was for blood pressure. He had an accident just before he turned 96, no problems before that.

You can guess I’m no spring chicken but I’m okay too. I might not be the rule.
A couple of times I saw a doctor at 8 am after having 2 cups of rocket fuel coffee and he said I had borderline high blood pressure. It dropped when the caffeine dissipated but I accepted the Rx rather than argue.
So my blood pressure is likely pretty low.
I had not had a flu for about 7 years until this year, I flaked on the vaccine.

They keep raising the age to get full social security benefits because people are living longer.

I’m wearing a mask when I go into a store, I have no idea how great my immune system is today.
88   ThreeBays   ignore (4)   2020 Apr 8, 7:44pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

We need APF to write a famous retort to this.

I just love it how one can at the same time have the attitude to downplay the rucking disease that every advanced democracy on the planet has shut down their economy to stop. AND at the same time speak with hyperbole about people who can manage hypertension for 30 or 40 years, as being at deaths door.
89   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 8, 8:07pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ThreeBays says

Managing hypertension for 30-40 years? What the fuck does that have to do with anything? Statistically you're more likely to die if you get this virus regardless of "managing" hypertension or not if 60+. If you're 30 it's highly unlikely you have hypertension or any underlying condition that will kill you. Not sure your point....

There's a reason they're shutting down. I've said here multiple times I'm taking this seriously. So WTF are you talking about??? Are you arguing that a 30 year old is as likely to die from the flu or CV-19 as say a 60, 70 or 80 year old?? And that hypertension plays no role in that? This conversation is off the rails if that's your interpretation.
90   NDrLoR   ignore (1)   2020 Apr 8, 8:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
Managing hypertension for 30-40 years?
My mother didn't develop, or at least didn't discover, her hypertension until she was in her mid 70's in the mid 70's. She took three medications, but they would lower it so much she didn't have any energy, so she'd get off of them, the worst thing you can do because then it can skyrocket. Nevertheless, she was 94 when she died of a heart attack at home in '97.
91   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 8, 8:33pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NDrLoR says
WookieMan says
Managing hypertension for 30-40 years?

I think people are mistaking what I'm saying. Of course you can manage hypertension. That's not at all what I'm getting at. A completely healthy 30 year old taking 0 pills versus say a 70 year old taking pills for high BP, who is more likely to die from this virus? The 70 year old. 30 year olds die from heart attacks as well. I'm just going off of probabilities based on THIS specific virus.
92   just_passing_through   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 8, 8:42pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
70 year old taking pills for high BP

Up-regulates ACE receptors in lung epithelial tissue as well. I think? Which is purportedly what the Kung Flu uses to invade those cells. A key and lock so to speak...
93   ThreeBays   ignore (4)   2020 Apr 8, 8:58pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

Right, we're on the same page on this.
94   clambo   ignore (5)   2020 Apr 8, 9:54pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I used to take my father to his cardiologist and he checked his circulation by checking out the ankles for swelling.

If your circulation sucks, you can’t resist infection or fight it with immune cells.

The ankle check was of course after listening, ekg, etc, etc.

It was interesting to see what I might go through someday.
95   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 8, 10:31pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

clambo says
The ankle check was of course after listening, ekg, etc, etc.

Ankle check is probably what brought up my own concerns. Looked at my ankles and was like what the fuck? Looked like I had sprained them and all swollen. Usually only the right one.

My issues are apparently hereditary. Not overweight and active. Really haven't felt unwell in a long time. So the puffy ankle raised an alarm. If you wear one, same with wedding ring. Mine wouldn't ever fall off, but it was no problem to get off/on. All of a sudden it was a struggle to get the damn thing off. If you're not gaining weight or getting fat and these things are happening, get to the doc asap.

This is why I'm personally taking this virus seriously as I'm a target and have only left the house I think 3 times now since March 15th. Fuck that sucks....
96   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Apr 10, 10:37pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NASA satellite sees air pollution drop over northeastern US amid coronavirus outbreak

97   WookieMan   ignore (7)   2020 Apr 11, 12:01pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

Short lived once we come out like gang busters May 1st and pollute the fuck outta the place.

The funny part is people will see stuff like this and go outside to sniff up the noticeably same air they always have been. But with a satisfaction that things are better... Just don't go to Bill or Sarah's house and see them swinging from the rafters in the garage.

« First    « Previous    Comments 58 - 97 of 97    Last »