Girls Who Code

By rox42 follow rox42   2019 Oct 25, 8:07pm 1,280 views   53 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

I'm curious what are pat netters thinking of Girls Who Code? It is an organization that helps girls learn to code.

« First    « Previous    Comments 14 - 53 of 53    Last »

14   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 26, 9:56am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Girls can code if they want to, no problem with that.

I do have a problem with the literally incessant preaching about it. I notice a pervasive contrary-to-reality campaign to vastly overrepresent women on all advertising for programming jobs, on the cover of my university's engineering school newsletter, in posters made by the EFF, etc.

They just lie about the reality to "encourage" women to make that reality.

Not going to happen though. Programming requires continuous application of hard logic, and men are definitely far more inclined in that direction, genetically and permanently. No amount of preaching is going to change that reality.
15   CBOEtrader   ignore (6)   2019 Oct 26, 10:27am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Allin says
How are women coders going to make the world better?

Google management suggests they need women, because only women can relate to women, who are 53% of their clientelle (or some joke answer like that).
16   ignoreme   ignore (3)   2019 Oct 26, 10:39am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I’ve worked with some great female coders. I see no problem with sex specific programs. Kids at any age learn better in single gender classrooms. The lesson plan here just seems a little sjw. I’d probably sign my daughter up for just a regular coding class, or even better teach them myself the correct way. Need to go dig up my K&R...
17   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Oct 26, 11:20am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

In grad school, I wrote a fitting algorithm for multiexponential decay analysis. A girl in the lab was tasked with doing something else related to it. No formal training so she was figuring it out on her own. When I looked at her code, it was thousands of lines of various functions. I introduced her to the concept of a loop and she was like...wait how many months did I just waste?
18   Shaman   ignore (2)   2019 Oct 26, 1:01pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

Indeed. In fact, the primary objection and conflict men experience with women is due to their absolute rejection of logic and reliance on emotional thinking, which often makes little sense.
There is a definite place for empathetic thinkers, teaching for one, healthcare or childcare for another, psychology, etc.
19   mell   ignore (6)   2019 Oct 26, 2:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Quigley says
Patrick says

Right, cause who hasn't had a convo like this:

she: stop eating the dark chocolate covered almonds! You're finishing them before I get to have some and I bought them!
him: ok fair point, solution through logic suggests that I buy my own and always leave one box untouched for you.
she: no, no! just don't snack when you feel to, only snack (with me) when I feel like it!
him: throw new IllegalArgumentException("illogical");
20   rox42   ignore (0)   2019 Nov 27, 1:48am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"This morning, Girls Who Code was able to have an amendment brought to the MA House of Representatives requiring the state to track the participation rate of girls in all computer science courses across the state.

GWC alumni and network: please take two minutes to call your state representative and voice your support!

1.) Enter your address below and click on your state representative.
2.) Call their office to voice your support for Amendment 12.

This amendment would help Massachusetts close the gender gap in technology and create a more equitable tech future for girls"
22   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2019 Nov 27, 5:42am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You would have better luck filling that quota by encouraging male coders to transgender.
23   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Nov 27, 5:52am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Why not the same effort to bring in more male nurses? Elementary school teachers? Veterinarians? Etc?

Why are there special efforts dedicated to closing the gender gap in computer science!?
24   Shaman   ignore (2)   2019 Nov 27, 6:31am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rox42 says

@rox42 what possible good can this accomplish? Should women be FORCED to code? Most women do not want that sort of job. It’s not like there are ANY barriers to entry for women to be coders, other than acquiring the necessary skills. In fact, all the big tech firms and most of the smaller ones are always actively recruiting women who code.
So what is the end game with this sort of legislation?
25   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (3)   2019 Nov 27, 7:50am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Liberals love to force choices on others. They hate it when others don’t choose what they want them to.
26   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Nov 27, 8:23am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Fortwaynemobile says

Does that apply to abortion, gay sex, etc?
27   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2019 Nov 27, 9:27am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Dies that apply to abortion, gay sex, etc?

Interesting. What do you think will happen first - Gay sex is outlawed, or turning down a gay will get you a discrimination lawsuit.
28   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Nov 27, 4:07pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says
Dies that apply to abortion, gay sex, etc?

Ah, someone that sees where I was going 😁
29   FuckCCP89   ignore (6)   2019 Nov 27, 4:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Do you have to have an actual vagina to be considered "a girl who codes", or simply self-identifying as such is enough?
30   Blue   ignore (0)   2019 Nov 27, 4:28pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Men took advantage over women for long time by creating f. God and religion. Except those who continue enslaving women, we all know that there is no f. God. It is time for men to provide additional resources for women to make progress to make it fair.
At the same time, I am not going to suggest programs that really force women to drag into CS.
31   mell   ignore (6)   2019 Nov 27, 5:41pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Liberal_in_blackface says

Absolutely no holds barred everyone qualifies now. Thanks Obama!
32   NoCoupForYou   ignore (2)   2019 Nov 27, 5:44pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Liberal_in_blackface says

I think I saw a list of the top 10 or 20 British Women in Tech History, something over a quarter were trans.

I know that many M2F "women" in the US have inventions/noted apps, such as Dani Bunten.
34   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (3)   2019 Nov 28, 6:10pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It’s culture of failure and murder, not the same. Scale it out and nation fails.

BayArea says
Fortwaynemobile says

Does that apply to abortion, gay sex, etc?
36   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (3)   2019 Nov 28, 7:37pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Since liberals made it so that men and women identify as same, this tracking is clearly transphobic lol.
38   CBOEtrader   ignore (6)   2019 Dec 11, 12:03am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz_music says
require patience and attention to detail

Woman make better EA's , sure
39   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2019 Dec 11, 7:37am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HEYYOU says
AI robot sex dolls will be taking womens' coding jobs.
Technology will screw techies.

If you are talking sex dolls, that would be the other way around - techies would be screwing technology.
40   rox42   ignore (0)   2020 Jul 24, 5:43pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Wow, Cassie Jaye....interesting exploring the other side of men's rights from a feminist. Good stuff! Worthwhile to watch the youtube link.

41   Dholliday126   ignore (0)   2020 Jul 24, 6:09pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Coding is suck a fucking lie. Why teach yourself a profession that can be outsourced anywhere around the globe for someone who will work for pennies. Fuck that.
42   just_adhom_preaching   ignore (6)   2020 Jul 24, 9:29pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Dholliday126 says

Spoken by someone who knows shit about coding. The trick is to be multidisciplinary. Hard to outsource that. You can ask for more $ as well. Alternatively just be a badass coder. Not many of those from foreign shores to compete with.

Sure put me on the road to wealth vs. being a bench scientist cloning n' shit. Fuck that.

On topic: I think 'girls who code' is retarded as hell. Just learn to code and keep gender out of it. I've known several badass female coders. Most are just QA people though.
43   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 24, 9:34pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

just_adhom_preaching says

Same here! I worked in a bio lab as an undergrad and actually got into an MD-PhD program before ditching it and discovering coding. Has worked pretty well for me too.

just_adhom_preaching says

You can't say that!

Lol, yes you certainly can, here. It is indeed retarded as hell. Keep gender out of it. If you're good, you're good, end of story.
44   just_adhom_preaching   ignore (6)   2020 Jul 24, 9:37pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

Because you are smarter than those in the MD-PhD program. If you're like me you met a lot of people who were further along and all you heard was a lot of whining.

I think coding is something women are very good at if they are interested. Most are not.
45   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 24, 10:27pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

just_adhom_preaching says

Yes, definitely. They did not look happy.

just_adhom_preaching says

Sure, they could be, but they really aren't interested as a rule. I'm certain the female lack of interest in coding is genetic. It's just too damn consistent.
46   just_adhom_preaching   ignore (6)   2020 Jul 24, 11:18pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

I actually think if they were interested the mean for 'great coder' would be female. Males have longer tails in the distribution measurements for that sort of talent and would still stand out.

In general, they multi-task better. I think of my sister who can:

1. Cook spaghetti
2. Interact with FB on her phone
3. Referee her kids
4. Have a chat with me while I'm visiting
5. Control her husband
6. Talk on the phone (while using FB)

pretty well at the same time.

Me: I can do one of those things very well. Probably 3 things in parallel well if I practice. I'm quite male with a laser focus.

Being able to hold several things in your head at the same time lends well to coding. The whole thing is a canard.
47   Ceffer   ignore (4)   2020 Jul 25, 3:15am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Women can't code during their periods. They destroy everything and have to start over from scratch. Also, real coders don't need cat and cutesy emojis every second line of code.
48   Booger   ignore (7)   2020 Jul 25, 5:56am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This thread is useless without slutty pics of girls who code.
49   just_adhom_preaching   ignore (6)   2020 Jul 25, 7:41am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ceffer says
Also, real coders don't need cat and cutesy emojis every second line of code.

Whatdaya mean? You aren't fluent in LOL code?

I had a co-worker (yes, a she) implement the Smith-Waterman algorithm in LOL.
50   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (3)   2020 Jul 25, 8:25am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I knew one, she really sucked at her job. Played “I’m a woman card” a lot because all ca men are afraid to say anything to a female and get called into HR. You know CA politics... it’s harassment if they perceive it.
51   mell   ignore (6)   2020 Jul 25, 9:33am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Dholliday126 says

Anyone who has ever worked on a broken English project outsourced to wherever and saw it go down in flames after wasting all the money - in one or two cases the teams simply disappeared after taking the money and being reminded to finally deliver - knows you can only outsource basic stuff, some bug fixing, basic customer service and projects that have already been bootstrapped and put into solid architectural footing. The bigger danger for coding is bringing cheap labor in that competes with American citizens and suppresses wages. All in all if you know a vocational skill or two or are a good coder you should never have to be unemployed against your will.
52   Automan Empire   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 25, 10:20am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The odds are good, but the goods are odd.

53   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 26, 3:08pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rox42 says

This deserves to be its own post:

« First    « Previous    Comments 14 - 53 of 53    Last »

Please write p@patrick.net if you would like to register to comment