I'm Leaving California

By NuttBoxer following x   2019 Jan 23, 11:18am 3,885 views   111 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

Getting on that outta state bandwagon. Despite making good money, and keeping my rent level for the past two years we are tighter than ever. I accepted a job in Phoenix, partly for the 30% decrease in cost-of-living, partly to stay within a drive-able distance of friends and relatives in San Diego. I had always assumed a six figure salary would mean I'd made it when I was younger, even if it was low six figures. That is no longer the case in California. Sick of seeing all my money go out as quickly as it comes in. I'd love to come back sometime in the future if prices ever go back to something remotely normal, but great weather and the ocean just aren't enough anymore.

I've always preached live within your means, this is me making the hard decision and practicing it. If you rent you are always one move away from getting back on track.

Debt is Slavery!

Comments 1 - 40 of 111    Next »    Last »

1   FortWayneIndiana   ignore (4)   2019 Jan 23, 11:20am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I know what you mean man. This thought has crossed my mind many times as well. Was thinking of going back to Indiana, but couldn't convince the Mrs.
2   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 11:23am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

We've spent the past few years trying to think of anything we could change to stay. Definitely had to get the wife on board. The proximity to San Diego was a big help there.
3   Heraclitusstudent   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 11:24am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Are you gonna be working remotely or new job?
How is pay?
4   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 11:28am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You'll have to withdraw slowly, by using flash cards every night in 20 different languages for a while at night. Also, you can hire some local kids to pretend to be homeless and camp on your front lawn leaving trash and feces, until you get used to the new environment. You also shouldn't forget to start your car and take a few breaths from the muffler until you get used to the oxygen in your new abode.
5   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 11:31am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Heraclitusstudent says
Are you gonna be working remotely or new job?
How is pay?

New job with a raise, but looking for most of the gains in cost-of-living savings.
6   RC2006   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 11:34am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If I didn't get my house at bottom my family would have moved years ago. Wife and I still plan to leave once kids are older, but who knows this subject comes up so much maybe sooner, our friends that have already jumped ship seem to have a happier lives and their children are doing well. This place is a rat race, and the rats just keep piling up.
7   Quigley   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 11:38am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yah my wife and I will likely leave California when the kids are grown. I’ll retire early and do something else wherever we wind up. Her job travels easily. Despite the lovely weather, there are too many hands out to productive people, often with a stick to back up the request.
8   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 11:49am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says

Yes, this seems to be Californifuckation message from the Cali refugees we have known. I am here because of no debts and have some freedom to negotiate the asteroid belts. The California cloaking device that seems to make people think that they can only be happy here while having the chronic growl of dissatisfaction and brain jabs is a mystery.

If you can't afford the Hollywood Hills, Marin, Manhattan Beach etc. etc. with ease, elan, caterers, chauffeur, a large law firm on reatainer and a gated hood, then moving to more nurturing climes should always be a consideration. It's delightful how California is also committed that any new housing include a landing platform for the ghetto lottery. One of my neighborhoods is a beneficiary.
9   RC2006   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 12:10pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The Pleasures of living here just doesn't exist like it used to. I like to go to the beach, snowboard, hike, camp, ect. But all these things require dealing with traffic and crowds. When I go hiking I have to hike miles away from any parking spot to avoid all the diapers, chip bags, and graffiti that our wonderful majority leaves all over the place like they do at home. Any event or fun place tends to be crowded beyond belief unless it involves some sort of overpriced charge. And now homeless are all over the place and you never know what kind of mental case you are walking by when you are out with your kids.
10   B.A.C.A.H.   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 12:23pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Good idea.

Especially if you have schoolagers.

The hypercompetitive K-12 in "good" (ie, high standardized test scoring) schools is toxic.
11   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 1:01pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

B.A.C.A.H. says

I talked with a school psychologist, and she told me about high school nervous break downs in the better public schools. The Tiger Moms and Brahmins have their curvy daggers held to the throats of their spawns to succeed or else. They have had hundreds of years to perfect intimidating, conditional relationships to preserve their families against the hordes of garbage crawling masses.

Of course, one could always appear to be a shining genius at the gold star hood schools, if the kids don't get crab bucketed and executed before graduation.
12   EBGuy   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 1:21pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

At least it's a dry heat. Good luck.
13   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 2:35pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says

Additionally, many local hiking spots in the Bay Area suffer from lack of parking. Or, at least, not nearly enough parking to accommodate the enormous quantity of visitors. I find that once you are a few miles from the nearest entrance, the crowds die down just fine.
14   Heraclitusstudent   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 2:49pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

For sure, in the Arizona desert, a few miles from the nearest entrance, the crowds will also die fast.
15   MrBark   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 3:01pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Bye! Bon Voyage! Enjoy the desert!

16   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 3:30pm   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Congrats on the life decision. You won't regret it - especially if you own a business.

We bugged out 3 years ago and are constantly amazed at how much extra $$ we have now. Paid cash for the house and vehicles, life is good. I save 75% of my take home and could save about 80-85% if I wanted to.

You may miss the ocean and moderate weather, but you'll quickly remember the hoards of homeless, mass immigration, psychotic liberals, the she men, Nancy Pelosi and gov debt problem.
17   RC2006   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 23, 3:40pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

joshuatrio says
We bugged out 3 years ago

Where did you end up going?
18   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 4:06pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@joshuatrio My wife has always lived in San Diego, so she was pretty nervous about doing this, and your success story was always in the back of my mind when I told her about people who left and didn't look back.
19   mell   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 4:12pm   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says

fully agreed - beautiful nature, good for single life work hard party hard fuck hard, but once you're ready to settle you gotta get out of this toxic leftoid-infused rat-race. There are places in CA you can move to as well but you won't escape they high taxes that way, just partially the rat race and some of the batshit crazy bay area "politics".
20   WineHorror1   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 4:18pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Good for you. I hope it works out well for you and your family.
21   Booger   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 4:32pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NuttBoxer says

Families earning $117,000 now qualify as "low income" in California's Bay Area
22   mell   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 4:38pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This morning in SF a big guy - not a pansy - in his suit on his way to work was knocked out cold in a swift surprise move from behind followed by a hard punch in the face with a knuckle-ring by some coked out criminal asshole thug. While his blood was running onto Market Street the cops/ambulance took some time to arrive and only a private security guard stood by. Leave this shithole to the leftoids but if you come down here with your family you better be armed and ready to shoot. Unless you bring in a Giuliani style cleansing MAGA Trump government this city is done. And remember: being White and a productive member of society is OK! ;)
23   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2019 Jan 23, 5:09pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says
joshuatrio says
We bugged out 3 years ago

Where did you end up going?

I believe he's outside of Atlanta, GA

Down with the Rednecks. Talk about a culture shock when leaving CA, right?
24   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 5:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Was actually considering Austin for a while as cultural fit would have been a lot closer, heard Phoenix is a bit more conservative. But a three day drive or long flight would mean not as many trips back to visit family.
25   MAGA   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 5:36pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Be careful of Realtor's trying to jack-up prices of Phoenix Real Estate.
26   MAGA   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 5:42pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This is what I would buy if I were moving to San Antonio. Fast growing 78256 area.

27   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 5:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mell says

I remember reading on Quora about ' Leaving SF'. One guy said he waited a little too long because he was thinking about it then was KO'd by a homeless stick up creep, who crushed his cheekbone, and partially, permanently blinded him in one eye. Of course, he left.
28   CBOEtrader   ignore (5)   2019 Jan 23, 5:48pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NuttBoxer says

Havent spent much time in SF, but Austin has it's own issues. Not as many economic homeless, but the warm environment and hill country hideaways attract bums from all over the country. Lots of petty theft and weird drugged out types. Seems like more of the city is homeless and in your face than in Chicago where I suppose the cold keeps them limited.

The people here are largely hipster, skinny jean wearing losers who like terrible music and spend their time getting drunk/high/etc...

Loser culture is strong here.

My opinion is every vacuum creates an opportunity. Easy to bang hottest girl in a bar here. Behave like a real man, point out the idiocy of the intersectional faggots... then when they argue simply point around you to all the hipster losers and ask "who do you think is winning in life? These clowns or me?" ... then add "wanna know why? Cause I respect reality and act accordingly" .

They will pretend to joust w you, but in her head shes already sucking your alpha male D
29   HEYYOU   ignore (26)   2019 Jan 23, 5:49pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Moving to some place that also has Republicans & Democrats?

"They're everywhere! They're everywhere!"
30   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 23, 5:50pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says

Heh, Heh!
31   mell   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 23, 5:56pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ceffer says
mell says

Wow. I can tell you in 20 years things have gotten progressively (pun intended) worse. Better years were 2000-2007.
32   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2019 Jan 23, 6:00pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NuttBoxer says

For some dysfunctional families, that could be a big benefit!
33   clambo   ignore (4)   2019 Jan 24, 6:21am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Some CA guys are buying places in Florida but with care to avoid the crowds and the geezers. There still exist such places.

In my locale it's a 6 minute drive to a gorgeous beach on the Atlantic with free parking and showers to rinse the sand and salt off you.

The summer high temperature is about 92 which is uncomfortable but that lasts about 6 weeks in mid summer. Rain in the afternoon tends to cool things down during that season.

The nice thing about summer is that about 40% of the people depart so there is no traffic. I recall last summer one afternoon stopping in the middle of Hwy 1 bridge to take a picture of the Jupiter lighthouse.

Scuba diving, fishing, and kiteboarding conditions are excellent as is the beach in general. Spring break, summer break, Christmas break female thong achievers are all over.
34   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 24, 7:04am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

clambo says

Where?

clambo says

The summer high temperature is about 92 which is uncomfortable

Already used to that in Maryland.
35   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 24, 7:04am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

#fuckcalifornia
36   Goran_K   ignore (2)   2019 Jan 24, 7:10am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

To anyone leaving California, remember the shit birds that voted all the lunacy into office.

Do the opposite of them when you leave and you’ll be okay.
37   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2019 Jan 24, 7:15am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I love Northern Florida. I have a large studio with a separate eat-in-kitchen half a block from the beach and it wasn't even 6 figures. Even in January the traffic isn't bad. Half an hour to Orlando and everything you can imagine in terms of fun from Disney to Buffets to Swing Clubs. Literally be at the beach from my front door without a car in 3-5 minutes. Elementary School is 4th in the State. 90% White and Delightsome, only 3% speak Spanish, much different than South Florida. Population is almost entirely Blue Origen, NASA, SpaceX, employees. Leans Republican. Has a Charter School based on Classical Education run by Hillsdale College. Ron Jon HQ is 2 blocks from my house.
38   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2019 Jan 24, 7:23am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

clambo says

I met a California guy at the Miami Boat show a few years ago. He couldn't believe how cheap it was to live on the beach, buy and own a boat, etc. relative to California, couldn't wait for the next years to be over so he could move out permanently.
39   HeadSet   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 24, 7:26am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce says

I spend some time in the Clearwater area and loved it. Considering that area for retirement.
40   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 24, 7:49am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce says

That and Delaware are high on my list of retirement places. Metro Jacksonville someplace (in vague terms) high enough off sea level and bike ride-able to the beach would seem ideal

Comments 1 - 40 of 111    Next »    Last »