forgot password / register

reset password

#housing #investing #politics #random more»
778,343 comments by 11,475 users, 6 online now: APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE, HEY YOU, justme, KimJongUn, Patrick, somecrappynumber
new post

rufita11's comments

« First    « Previous     Comments 296 - 335 of 335     Last »

rufita11   ignore (0)   2011 Jan 18, 5:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Hi Marko. I am ready to buy now too and would love to got directly to the bank and right past the realtor/broker gatekeepers who tell me my offer "will never be accepted by the bank" so they won't even bother to make it for me.

What is the process for going direct to the bank to make offers and get through the purchase?

I too am sick of moving and having to defer to the landlord about pets, guests, and my garden plans :).

Thanks for the post and the offer of pointers.

Ruth

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Feb 29, 10:39am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I am in a similar position sans kids. But we have a moveable veggie/fruit tree garden and a big dog, so jumping from one top notch rental in great neighborhoods to another takes a lot of work. For a while, I rented a friend's place at a third of market in the Berkeley Hills, but she sold at the peak and we had to move. We are now planning our 7th move in 10 years and it's finally wearing out its charm. I am getting sick up and fed with spending my PTO moving and setting up house.

What exasperates me is the wildly out of sync list prices. Even in the same neighborhood, two houses of similar quality and upgrades can be 100K apart in list price. I really don't think all the sellers have come to terms with the market. I guess I'll spend a week looking, put in a few offers to delusional sellers and then pick up the pace on looking for a rental. Blurgh!

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Feb 29, 11:01am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

toothfairy says

You can take the Bart from concord into the city right? If so $1100 probably looks like a pretty good deal

But you still have to live in Concord, which used to be an awesome place to raise kids. It's heartbreaking to see what it is becoming. Now, I'm trying to get my folks to move out of there just like they tried to get their folks to move out of Richmond.

We pleaded with them to sell at the peak and move to a condo in Santa Cruz, wait for the bubble to burst, then buy. They waited too long.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Feb 29, 12:59pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

iwog says

I'm calling a bare bottom.

Or a glass bottom. In a few months you'll be able to see more bottom from this "bottom".

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 7, 11:21am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Lots of pics are online. It's not a lot :), it does have a house on it.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 8, 3:10am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I never said I would pay asking. I am wondering what a good price now is. It is a great neighborhood with an award winning target middle school, but the high schools suck very badly.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 9, 2:52am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

woops! I offered 467K

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 9, 3:48am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Thank you all! I just asked my agent if the owner asked their agent to refuse to look at offers under a specific amount. He came back and told me that we can go ahead and submit my offer.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 9, 5:22am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

They live there. Turns out my parents went to school with the neighbor who gave us the low down on the property and the family:). Small world.

Thanks Patrick!

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 11, 5:44am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Skip the agent! Send your offer directly to the address in question if the owner lives there, and tell them that their agent was NOT doing his duty, and so you were obliged to use direct contact.

If no one lives there, you can still often figure out the address of the owner from county tax records.

I sent the owner on FB. Wasn't hard to find him, his avatar is a pic of him in front of the neighbor's house :). I just alerted him that I put in an offer and when.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 15, 7:32am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

thomas.wong1986 says

Not worth more than $300K..

$200K * 1.35% = $297K

take 1997 prices add in inflation and it gets you near bottom.

Price History

Date Description Price % Chg $/sqft Source

3/5/2012 Listed for sale $499,000 49.00% $264 Alain Pinel Realtors - Pleasanton

6/1/2001 Sold $335,000 52.30% $177 Public Record

7/21/1998 Sold $220,000 -- $116 Public Record

They doubled the living space. And my estimation from projects in the past is that it cost them circa 100K minimum for all the work that was done. So, I just added 100K to the pre-bubble price to come up with some sort of offer that I am willing to live with.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 15, 7:33am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

PockyClipsNow says

Good luck OP.

Remember agents are lazy greedy liars mostly. Many are too dumb to work or even get a regular day job. part time 'comission only' work is what it is - a broker will hire literally any agent that walks in the door as long as they have a salesperson license they are 'ok'.

They countered, so I countered back with my original offer. Waiting.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Mar 18, 11:27am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

The house is now pending, waiting for the bank to approve the offer. Someone else must have agreed to the seller's terms. They wanted 10K in escrow before the bank even approves the short sale. That a little too much for us to have tied up in a gamble.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 1, 1:26pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Nomograph says

edvard2 says

My first experience with a Realtor

RE agents sell real estate. Does that surprise you?

Are you taken aback when you walk into a clothing store and the clerk tries to sell you clothes? Do you expect the clerk to tell you not to buy because they will eventually go on sale or will wear out anyway?

Actually, I was going to buy some pricy dinnerware and the clerk told me to wait until the following week when they would be 50% off. She probably doesn't work on commission.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 1, 1:42pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

SJ says

Coast to Coast was a lot better years ago when Art Bell was the host since his smoky voice was relaxing more so than George "Sushi Boy" Noory. Good way to help me fall asleep. Of course now that stupid Bob the Gardner guy is on Sundays and the dumb house show on Saturdays.

Hve you ever heard Phil Hendrie do Art Bell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKiixZl4NJA)? He has a whole fake biz (Peenman Enterprises) selling things that C2C listeners may find useful--well worth a listen.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 13, 11:21am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

lostand confused says

EEk I didn't think German Shephards were included in the bad dog list?

This guy is on the banned list at many properties. I couldn't believe dals were considered unruly :). So, we are now paying a premium to rent an apartment in San Ramon. This place has more pit-mixes than any other breed. This is apparently where all the banned dogs go to live, but at an unbelievable rent.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 14, 10:41am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

In one Santa Cruz house, there were skulls and crossbones scrawled on the walls, with the message: "Get Out"! and a huge rusty machete with what looked like old blood on it.

Another house had a hidden "kitchen" under the main house with a tiny ladder in. And it reeked like cat pee (meth operation?).

In one Pleasanton house, we found a huge rock on a kitchen counter that had been hurled through the window..glass was everywhere.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 14, 10:46am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Tony Manero says

The not-so-distant sound of automatic weapons fire.

Not automatic weapons, but in Piedmont, you can hear gun shots coming from down the hill in Oakland almost every night.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 17, 10:08am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

RentingForHalfTheCost says

zzyzzx says

From what I can tell from watching house hunter type of shows, the number one turn off for women seems to be lack of granite countertops.

If the homeowner isn't insulted by your offer...you didn't bid low enough!!!

5K to add if you can do it yourself. Easy work.

Actually, it can be less than half that if you go direct to the supplier and not Home Depot. In the BA we have several.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 22, 9:35am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

rufita11 says I am guessing the asking price is a total hoax Yes, that's standard operating procedure in California. I just complained to the FTC about underpricing: http://patrick.net/?p=12 rufita11 says There were 8 offers. Lying about the number of offers...

Yes. I just talked with my realtor who just threatened to report the listing agent to the DRE. My agent claims that the listing agent is holding out for a cash offer so he can get all of the commission. The LA is claiming that he must put it back on the market before submitting the remaining 6 offers. He told my agent last week that we were in 4th position, but now he claims we are in last position. Seems like a total scam.

Just wondering if I should complain myself and how do I do that?

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 22, 3:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

David9 says

bubblesitter says

$463/month HOA for a 606 sq.ft shack? Who would want to stay there? I'll not even stay there for free. :)

LOL, thank you BubbleSitter. At that price and HOA, agree.

Like I have been saying EVERY property released to the retail market has something wrong with it and these follow patterns:

Iv'e seen some really amazing properties for decent prices, then I go to google maps and notice a huge high tension power line. It has happened so often, I dread looking at google maps.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 30, 12:33pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

NO! Look at the Redfin map for housing under 450K in the Bay Area. You will notice Oakland is flooded with available units. Why would you subject yourself to Oakland politics and a shrinking police force? Aren't the A's going to jump ship soon? It's also the city of choice for entirely too many violent protests.

I spent a lot of time in Oakland growing up, so it has a special place in my heart, but I would never buy there, even in the hills.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Apr 30, 12:51pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

rowemoore says

here they come:

There is good news near the end of the article.

Reading these articles is maddening. I cannot stand how housing price recovery = a return to housing prices which can only be supported by toxic debt. To me, a housing price recovery is a return to pre-1998 prices. In some places that is happening, but not in the right places.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 1, 2:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Yes. I know of a condo in Santa Cruz that is still not up for sale after being abandoned by the owners about 8 months ago. They stopped paying the mortgage about 2 years ago. They paid 425K in 2004, made about 50K worth of improvements. Others in that complex are selling for around 300K now.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 2, 3:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Being from Berkeley, I can easily list friends and acquaintances who are perpetual students. The excuses are myriad. I just caught up with a friend who is now 47 and just now starting seminary on the east coast after getting multiple MAs from UCB. He has been a student since he graduated from high school. That is the longest running one I know of. Usually, there is a decade gap.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 14, 2:01pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I really think we do need national pickets outside of clinics and hospitals with very short clear slogans, like:

* Tell us prices!

* Give us a price list!

* No blind billing!

* What's the cost?

Any others? There are probably some humorous and very clear slogans that I just can't come up with right now.

You should have yelped before going. There are great, personable, and honest doctors out there. I have found a few, especially in Berkeley (one in San Ramon). My friend's husband is a GP who works in a lower income area, serving many cash only patients--he has a price list (almost like a menu).

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 16, 5:09am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

The "Sale Pending" status shows in Red. When it's relisted, "Sale Pending" disappears from the details.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 16, 5:16am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

This might actually be a fun game.

How should you get points? By predicting correctly what is going to happen?

Because I am not playing against anyone else, I just predict how many days until it is relisted. I am still waiting to see any of my picks actually sold. I would also like to start picking actual sales price against list price.

Could get elaborate.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 22, 1:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Security threat detected on the link you provided.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 23, 2:50pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

CL says

rooemoore says

FWIW, Piedmont Ca is pretty hot right now.

I can't even afford to drive through Piedmont.

I rented in Piedmont. It is a unique place. A little unreal at times, but lovely, with mostly friendly neighbors. Fact remains that you can still hear gunshots at night from down the hill in Oakland.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 May 23, 8:27pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Thanks to "clambo" I discovered the "ignore" link.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Jun 1, 11:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

RentingForHalfTheCost says

mdovell says

The options indicate to me this will hit at least $24 soon

The P/E ratio at least to me tells me that $8-10 is a good price.

It's still way...way over priced.

I have an open order for my Mother (she wants some shares because FucBook is the only things she uses on the internet). I told her to sit back and I will get her some eventually. My buy price is $4.10/sh and I'll sit tight until I get it. :) They are a 10B dollar company. That from a dorm room is still a great story. 100B, Nope, sorry. Your not building cars, building phones, mining gold or oil. You are spreading gossip and pictures FCOL! At least LinkedIn helps people find work. Fucbook just sucks away your time.

My mom uses it, but calls it "SpaceBook". I stopped correcting her.

My favorite renames are "Freindface and Jitter" --IT Crowd

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Jun 3, 8:03am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Austin TX says

You can call me the King of England if you want, Scam. Show me the proof. What exactly am I lying about???

My wife is the cupcake. And only I get to call her that...

Thank you for the craving. One which will forever go unfulfilled. Well, unless I make the cupcake myself with honey and all organic, fair trade, gluten free, non-GMO, kosher ingredients.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Jun 7, 4:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

PockyClipsNow says

funny!

After watching the TV show hoarders, I think lots of homeowners ARE HOARDERS and moving is impozzible for them as they cant pay anyone enough to move that shit and if they did it would take 10 years.

Moving every year: the fix for hoarding.

You got it! I used to look forward to my next place, because it was usually a move up. I used to move a lot. It would only take a couple of compact car loads and my brother's truck for the futon, tiny table and chairs. But, I got married and found out my husband is a closet hoarder. He had a massive secret stash of stuff at his parents home and when they moved, we had to find storage for all of it. I almost had a nervous breakdown when I saw load after load of crap coming into our loft. I am a minimalist and this just went against every fiber of my being.

Finally, after 10 years of marriage and 8 moves, we are down to a small storage space for his crap, which turned out to be collectors items that he has been steadily selling on E-Bay. If I didn't insist on getting rid of it and throwing lots of it away during each of our moves, he would still have it all. You have to be tough with a hoarder. No matter how much they scream and cry and act insane, you have to just push through it.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Jun 26, 2:34am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

Who told you that number?

A Realtor® perhaps?

It's on Redfin as the sale price. Could be a mistake or a lie, but I handled paperwork for a friend when she had to move out of the country and sell her B-Hills home. A couple with apparently more money than sense paid $860K in 2008 for her fixer, so I know what people would pay. I was just thinking they wouldn't STILL be way overpaying.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Jul 2, 3:21pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

guruoracle says

We did buy below market due to many years of research and watching the market plus some luck!

Are you the one who bought the house that needed a new foundation right next to the cemetery and freeway? Location is everything when trying to resell.

There are plenty of very good buys next to the freeway in Danville and Walnut Creek. There are also steals within 500 feet of high tension power lines in these fortresses as well. I've passed on several of these deals. Even drove out to that cemetery house, but realized how CLOSE it was to that sad place.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Jul 11, 4:56am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

My parents live three houses away from a drug/alcohol rehab residence. The woman who runs it is a delight and good friends with my parents, but she has now had to have restraining orders against former tenants who stalk her. One actually assaulted her. But, the neighborhood has not experienced any negative impact--just the poor woman who owns the place.

If it's a good neighborhood otherwise and the parolees are just recovering addicts and not something sick or violent, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Jul 26, 4:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

bmwman91 says

which does sound like it is quite positive, and then reinvest it into more properties? This is more or less exactly how I played SimCity as a little kid lol...initial investm

Ha! When I played Sims, I put the person in the pool and took out the ladder. I still feel terrible about it. ;p

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Aug 10, 11:21am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Call it Crazy says

rootvg says

I have a friend in Ohio who was raised old school Italian and he still looks at women as future wives and mothers. He evaluates potential girlfriends with that same set of criteria.

I thought the criteria was when you get a new girlfriend, you look at her mother, and expect your girlfriend will look like her mother in 30 years....

That's such bull. I look like my dad who looks like his mother, so I'm going to look like my grandmother--already saving for the plastic surgery she got when she was 70 :)

rufita11   ignore (0)   2012 Aug 14, 6:07am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

CaptainShuddup says

This was only a matter of time.

Hell once Enniment domain was deemed constitutional there's not a house in America that is NOT under threat of some seedy RE developer and Some cozy assbag down at city hall, concocting a plan to steal it from the rightful owner.

Each and every time you cast a vote for a local elected official, you better do some deep soul searching and ask your self, "would this guy sign the order to pull the paper on MY house?"...

The law should be amended to stipulate that anyone asking for and signing off on seizure of private property for the "benefit" of the community, must include their own home as an optional swap in lieu of cash to the affected homeowner.

users   about   suggestions   source code   contact
topics   best comments   comment jail   old posts by year
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home