rufita11's comments

« First    « Previous     Comments 283 - 322 of 322     Last »

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Aug 15, 8:48am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Check out http://weekendsherpa.com/ and then tell me CA sucks. Not for hikers, it doesn't. I hiked yesterday in cool weather, I'm hiking in 10 minutes and I'll be doing 11 miles from redwoods to the ocean next week. I can hike every day if I want, but I'm not an animal ;p.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Aug 18, 11:14am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Call it Crazy says

Maybe not....

When I was at Mammoth Lakes a couple summers back, I went to rent a boat on one of the many little lakes. The proprietor warned us that a big bear had been coming around daily, so I asked him when it usually hangs out. He said, "Whenever it wants!"

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Aug 18, 11:34am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Peter P says

Who ever considered chess a creative endeavor? Everybody knows it is purely mathematical with a time/space complexity of O(1).

Mind you, the game-tree complexity of chess is closer to a googol than a googolplex.

I think it was Bobby Fischer who said, "Chess is life". But, I agree with Howard Stern's take: "I'v never found chess to be anything other than chess."

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Aug 30, 7:23am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

The fact that the parks department felt it was important enough to post warnings to hikers about illegal grows is enough to tell me that we need to legalize the growing and selling of the plant. Don't mess with the only thing that is keeping me in this state--my love of hiking in the coastal redwoods.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Sep 2, 10:45am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

A few months ago, I went to visit a friend in Redlands. She directed me to a warehouse district and told me to pull over across from a nondescript warehouse door. We got out, she knocked and a few minutes later, a guy unlocked the door and let us into what was a very nice little wine bar with a huge selection. Check out info and reviews for The Dregs in Redlands, CA.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Sep 2, 11:02am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

New Renter says

Wine is a snobby thing, with lots of egos to stroke.

Not so much anymore. Wine is becoming a young, hipster thing. This is who that speakeasy in Redland, CA caters to. They even have a cheat sheet to educate those cool kids.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Sep 8, 10:43am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Read about the planned and almost successful genocide of California natives.bgamall4 says

In America, I don't believe, although if you show me I am open to change, that the settlers had a premeditated plan to shove the native Americans off the land. I could be wrong as I said

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Sep 27, 5:18am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

P N Dr Lo R says

Accepting a ride with a perfect stranger?

Seriously, in SF taxi drivers kill and injure people too. I have a friend who drives for all of these services and has been propositioned and hassled by jerks on a daily basis. One married couple got in and propositioned her. Gross. But she meets a lot of great people too, so that and the money makes up for the few jerks. It goes both ways. I think drivers have a lot more to fear from passengers than the reverse.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Sep 27, 11:05am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Thunderlips. Ummmm. All drivers and passengers use the Uber app, which includes GPS tracking software with an audit trail. It will know exactly who picked up whom and almost exactly where, depending on if the person moved down the street or arranged a pickup outside the software via text or phone. But there will be records of that too. The drivers also have extensive background checks before they can be employed at all. When I get into a cab, no one knows. When I arrange an Uber pickup, there is a record.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Oct 6, 9:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

OnTheFence says

It's sad to say but I don't want there to be a scenario where he is enabling us to live our lives....it's prideful but can't shake it.

No, Sir. It's not sad that you want to be a man. I greatly admire that and your daughter will need the example. It would be a different story if you had fallen on hard times and could not feed your family, but it sounds like you are doing just fine.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Oct 14, 1:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

If you can see yourself never needing the money again and keeping the same relationship you have now with your family, go for it.

You have to be willing to say to the person, "If I never see this money again, I'll still love you. So, please don't worry if you find that you cannot pay me back." If you cannot say that sort of statement out loud to the person you are loaning the money to, don't do it.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Nov 6, 8:54am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Quigley says

But even she knows she's a total unicorn

That's right. There aren't many of us, but I sort of like it that way.

If every female had the benefit of being raised by engineers or scientists, it would probably be different. Two of my nieces have STEM careers and their father is in tech.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Nov 21, 3:50am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Glorified trailer park. Overpriced to boot.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Nov 21, 4:01am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I interviewed at Google recently and from what I was told, the move to the new space is not a hiring spree, it's just a move to a better facility. This is just my assumption based on the questions I asked during the interview.

Oh and several large bay area corps had huge layoffs this year, so 5k jobs would only very slightly make up for that deficit.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Dec 2, 2:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Ignorance of the law doesn't excuse its violation.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Dec 5, 7:01am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

turtledove says

My son was coughing so hard that he revealed that he had a inguinal hernia! He actually coughed his intestines into his right you-know-what!!!

Wow. That actually sounds like whooping cough. Did they actually do labs to find out it was the flu? I got keuchhusten (Pertussis) in Germany after the baby I was caring for got it (Docs gave her homeopathic remedies). We each had it over a month--worst coughing EVER!

rufita11   ignore (0)   2014 Dec 24, 8:44am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

There are entire branches of my family I have never met. All thanks to my dad for being militantly intolerant of drama. Any relative (or guest) started anything and they were unceremoniously booted--never to be seen or heard from again ;p. Thankfully, I don't even celebrate any of these holidays--keeps drama to a complete minimum.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2015 Jan 29, 5:21pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

What happened to the "Real Estate" tab?

rufita11   ignore (0)   2015 Feb 7, 4:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I started reading Patrick.net at the suggestion of a former boss who ran a property management and investment school and website. That was in 1999 or 2000, I believe.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2015 Feb 19, 1:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

If you don't eat small farm, grass fed and locally butchered meat, never, ever pass by Harris Ranch during the day. It's enough to make a person with a heart cry for those beasts. I also feel for the people working in those conditions. Not quite the lovely, pastoral scene.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2015 Mar 18, 4:01pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

It's obvious that most of you commenting have never used Uber. It's great to have this as one of the options. I've canceled an Uber ride in favor of a taxi, but I have also taken an Uber ride because there were no taxis around. Also, no money changes hands. If anyone is going to argue over price, they need to do that with Uber, not the driver, thunderlips. I also know three Uber, Sidecar, Lyft drivers. The number one complaint is roofied and drunk AND extremely racist passengers. But most of their passengers are amazing.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2016 Aug 7, 11:57am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

It is important to get an x-ray and follow-up sonogram to see if there are any obstructions or spine damage/degeneration causing the issues. If we had just gone with the Rimadyl and not looked further, our 14 yr old dalmatian would still be on it. We found out that he had a grapefruit sized lipoma crowding his abdominal cavity. We've always fed him raw/organic/human grade/gf and exercise him daily, so this is just one of those genetic issues. A few months post surgery and he is acting like a much younger dog again. We've almost burned through his health savings account, but it was so worth it.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2017 Mar 14, 9:27am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Have you been watching "Halt and Catch Fire"?

rufita11   ignore (0)   2017 Apr 15, 4:53pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Not drinking is the new drinking.

rufita11   ignore (0)   2017 Apr 29, 3:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

There's no Chomsky like Noam Chomsky, there's no Chomsky I know. . .

The Housing Trap