Jimbo in SF's comments

« First    « Previous    Comments 51 - 90 of 90    Last »

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2014 Oct 29, 7:20am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Wasn't Greenspan responsible for all this?

Why would anyone listen to him?

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2014 Dec 26, 11:57am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

No it stands to reason, you mutts will probably put up something to the contrary, knock yourself out.

Every cop i know votes for the GOP, and i live in San Francisco.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2014 Dec 26, 12:15pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

indigenous says

Jimbo in SF says

Every cop i know votes for the GOP, and i live in San Francisco.

That settles it then, you are a mutt...

Hey, im just telling you what i hear from my cop buddies. Its gotten to the stage that we dont discuss politics anymore cause i know how strongly they feel, tryng to convince me to vote GOP.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2014 Dec 26, 12:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

indigenous says

Do they spike their pensions or go out on disability?

Don't all cops?

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2014 Dec 26, 12:35pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

indigenous says

Jimbo in SF says

Don't all cops?

If they are true believers they would not...

I agree, they are total hypocrites.

I think SF is so left leaning that it has a higher than normal share of cop haters. So the cops are GOP voters, while taking advantage of their union benefits.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2016 Jun 10, 9:03am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FortWayne says

Because I live in CA, and I know only very few who do not own guns.

A teacher at my kids elementary school in S.F. asked the kids "how many of your parents have a gun at home" in an effort to teach the kids about gun safety ... 7 in 10 said 'Yes'.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 9, 11:32am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I think it's a gamble too, but I would be willing to risk 'beer money' on it, just to keep an eye on it.
Don't stocks typically rise in December, so the NY traders can get their bonuses?
If that's so, I might buy in January after a pull back.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 22, 12:33am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I have a Glock 19 and a Ruger LCR revolver.

Neither my wife nor daughter could rack the Glock, so I felt a 'simple' revolver was necessary.

The Glock is in a safe under my bed and the Ruger is hidden near the front door.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Jan 9, 11:31am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says

any recommendations for a first revolver?

I bought a 357 Ruger LCR - shoots 38, +P, & 357.
Honestly, it hurts my hand like hell when shooting the 357 rounds through a 'snubbie'.
I would go with a regular 38 and +P ... it is much lighter and easy to conceal.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Jan 10, 10:47am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

A resume came across my desk recently and the person had just finished working for "Team Hillary".
It went straight in the garbage ... there is no way I would want anyone who is that politically extreme working on my team (either from the left or right).

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Feb 20, 7:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Booger says

My best guess is about 3.5 million in liquid assets

I'm aiming for roughly the same number - about $4mm. At 5% withdrawal, that should be $200K yearly salary.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Feb 20, 7:51pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rando says

Jimbo in SF says

At 5% withdrawal, that should be $200K yearly salary.

OK, that's 20 years of withdrawals. But if you live longer, you'll need more. Or do you mean 5% return?

5% return on the $4mm might cover yearly withdrawal, that's the goal.

$200K sounds like more than anyone really needs to live. I'm thinking $80K per year would do for me.

I think this might be a more likely outcome, but I'd live in Spain or Portugal under this scenario.

Also, $80k today might be do-able ... but you might need $200K in 20 or 25 years.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Apr 13, 4:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

That would take too long to gather and process all the answers.

How about a simple 'live auction' by the stewardess over the intercom ... simply increment by $100 each time an offer has no takers.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 May 2, 9:14am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Shopify at $83 after revenue up 75%

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 May 2, 9:28am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

So i'm up 88% on this so far ... thoughts about 'doubling down' by buying more stock?
It's bitten me in the ass before, but this growth seems very strong.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 May 2, 2:42pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says

ARLP: +20%

PICK: +24%

ONEQ: +39%

IVV: +26%

And my duds:

RING: -16%

FIT: -37%

@BayArea ... did you invest and equal amount of $$ in each stock?
If so, I see you as up 9% overall ... is this the case?

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 May 2, 5:01pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HardSock says

Not sure who buy's this stock when they look at 1year target and PE ratio

Yea .. I look at this as a revenue play. With this kind of rev growth, profitability should come soon. By the time profitability does come and everyone jumps on the bandwagon, the stock might be even harder to justify buying.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 May 2, 5:19pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HardSock says

Typically we should look at earnings rather than revenue to hold a stock for long term. Not sure if my thinking is correct or not.

I think your thinking is correct, but I personally like a little gambling.

You see articles that say "If you'd bought Amazon on its IPO, you'd be a millionaire now" ... but Amazon was unprofitable for a long time, so a lot of people stayed away. The way I see in is to look at revenue growth and buy fast growing companies that will eventually become profitable.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 May 24, 9:01pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Chicago colleague at work just quit and is moving his family to Denver. He said the high taxes and high crime we're the reason.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 May 29, 8:54am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

A liberal arts college with a 98% acceptance rate.
Won't send my kids there.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Jun 8, 9:56pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I just don't see the crash yet.
- Remember 2001 when all your work buddies we're buying IPOs every day?
- Remember 2007 when your Mexican house cleaner owned 3 houses herself?

I'm not seeing that level of craziness at the moment.

When 'Joe Public' is back investing in the market and you hear about stock picks at your son's baseball game - that's when you start getting worried.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Jun 9, 8:22am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Shopify crossed the $100 mark.
"Buy now, or be priced out forever"

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Jun 9, 9:14am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sheesh ... I don't know why folks can't open a brokerage account and just buy ETF's?

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Jun 12, 9:26am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Then you get Chicago, where the over-scrutinized cops basically refuse to arrest anyone and the murder rate on the 'south side' skyrockets.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Jul 5, 9:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

When the new backyard home has rent control, then not many will build them.

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 30, 12:13pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I'm up 150% since my first purchase, but I added to it and am up 65% overall, which leaves lots of room to sell if it starts declining.
They are approaching a point where they will soon start to make a small profit and that combined with the massive quarterly growth could see this share price grow even further.

I intend to hold and let this one play out, to see where it goes.
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Sep 11, 8:52pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Allow SF homeowners to add a back yard cottage or in law unit, without forcing rent control on the entire house. That's how SF could add more housing units and decrease rents.
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 2, 8:24pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anon_66227 says
will

We make very similar income and Senate plan shows me saving $8k (flat under house plan).

Do you have a mortgage that you deduct ?
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 12, 8:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Although I disagreed with his sanctuary City position, overall I liked Ed Lee.
He was generally business friendly, lowered taxes to bring Twitter and others to mid market.
The city is booming under his watch and there are jobs for all who want one.
Some point at the negatives of a booming city like traffic congestion and high prices, but I see only positives .
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2018 Feb 21, 8:23pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I went to cash this week.

I feel a combination of QT (reverse QE) and rising interest rates will cause headwinds.

I feel like I need a 6 month break from the markets.

Time will tell.
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 12, 12:15pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
$32,000 in principal

Not sure why you'd remove the principal, that's more a form of saving rather than an expense?
I think its a great form of forced saving too.
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 11, 6:27pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

She was actually the moderate choice and is pro business. Her opposition were way far to the left - Leno & Kim.
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2019 Apr 11, 8:27pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Huh, that actually gets her some points in my book.

Except she calls for gun control for others:

Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2019 Jul 7, 6:30pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"Yeah, it amazes me that people who don't exactly seem rich would pay so much for such mediocre food":
Business expense accounts
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2019 Jul 16, 9:54pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

" I don't cave to paywall extortion"
Open in incognito browser.
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2019 Jul 17, 5:09am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Weird, it works for me in Android:

Touch the link with your finger and hold till the menu appears.

Then choose 'open in incognito tab'
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2019 Jul 31, 7:15pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Could this invalidate the entire CA election results for being unconstitutional and exclude it from being counted along with other states?
  Jimbo in SF   ignore (0)   2020 Jun 17, 6:41pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I spent about $40k a year on my credit card for business travel, that's down $0 right now.