forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
745,837 comments in 76,586 posts by 10,973 registered users, 2 online now: curious2, RealEstateIsBetterThanStocks

new post

AI will create jobs and efficiencies?

By Heraclitusstudent   Jun 15, 2:16pm   424 views   13 comments   watch (1)   quote

" New research from IDC, released by Salesforce, claims that artificial intelligence (AI) will create 823,734 jobs by the year 2021, surpassing the number of jobs lost to AI technologies such as machine learning and automation. Additionally, the report predicted that AI will increase global business revenues by $1.1 trillion in the same time frame.

The two statistics mentioned above will both come about as a result of "efficiencies driven by AI in CRM," the report found. And, if one includes indirect obs, the number of jobs added by AI jumps to 2 million. "This is a net-positive figure in that it includes an estimate of jobs lost to automation from AI," according to the report."

Can you create jobs and efficiencies?

Comments 1-13 of 13     Last »

1   Rin   238/241 = 98% civil   Jun 16, 10:20pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Considering that for the first few years at the hedge fund, we'd done everything in our power to automate, thus not increasing headcount while putting all of our eggs into hiring the very best prop trader, I find this sort of article to be orthogonal to how executives really think.

In reality, a firm only wants client relations officers and everything else, done by a machine of sorts.

If AI really delivers as expected, the first thing that would happen is that many CEOs, CFOs, and CIOs will demand shift headcount reductions, with the survivors managing the expert systems which replace entire organizations. In other words, the surviving 20% will in effect, produce nearly 100% of the overall company output.

My prediction is that at least half the office jobs will be gone, one generation after AI goes mainstream.

2   Rin   238/241 = 98% civil   Jun 16, 10:27pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Rin says

The ppl who deny this have clearly never worked in management.

The word 'headcount' is considered a four letter word in corporate America.

3   HEY YOU   889/890 = 99% civil   Jun 16, 10:40pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Patnet is the number 1 source for artificial intelligence.lol

4   Tenpoundbass   1198/1200 = 99% civil   Jun 16, 11:32pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I call Bullshit! Our outside Salesforce rep/developer has been fucking about trying to push a simple Request for 8 months. The AI hype is nothing more than glorifying the very sophisticated way of collecting data and over reach of gathering and consuming information. On every click, phone call, wander past transponders, wireless networks, GPS data, browser data, sms and social internet and free webmail. They call it AI like it exuses the fact that its Not an Option technology. You have no way to op out you are subjected to it. Many privacy laws are going out the window. We wouldn't allow people to actually sit around at a desk and type up dossiers on us, but that's exactly what this glorified spyware snooptech is doing. It's not AI, it's just the next gen computing. I remember when they called autopopulated textboxes, Fuzzy Logic.

5   sagacious1   60/60 = 100% civil   Jun 17, 5:45am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Completely out of sync with the comments thus far, yet AI scares the **** out of me...I don't feel people have actually appreciated what could become from going this direction. I've forgotten the author (perhaps someone can correct me) I think it was Arthur Clarke in a SiFi story in which an AI machine had been successfully created. The creator pondered "What can I ask of this all-knowing entity?". After some thought he asked "Is there a God?" To which the machine replied "There is now.".

6   Quigley   759/764 = 99% civil   Jun 17, 5:52am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

AI is already here. Google is one of the largest ones, certainly the most pervasive. I can't count the number of times I've been talking about a product or potential vacation with my wife, go to google it, and two letters in... it pops up. Or maybe if we forget about it, it will just show up in banner ads on every webpage we visit. Shows there's an AI freaking listening to our conversations, probably through our phones, and responding to them with advertisements.

7   Tenpoundbass   1198/1200 = 99% civil   Jun 17, 11:55am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

That's not AI that's illegal snooping employing sophisticated databse updates.

Idiots that regurgiate this AI nonsesnses is giving the NSA, GOOGLE, FACEBOOK and all of these other oppressive Democracy breachers, a safe wall to hide behind to play the Wizzard of Oz from.

8   Tenpoundbass   1198/1200 = 99% civil   Jun 17, 12:01pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

We never got VR either if you all recall.
Virtual Reality - Bullshit!
Fuzzy Logic - Autocomplete

We might get automated cars but that's because they'll demand and win the right to own the roads outright. We wont be allowed to drive anything on them.
They will be for federally lisensed Automated cars only that only three companies in the intire planet can be granted to. They wont sell the cars, because a private driver could sabotage their vehicle or the network and affect many automated cars.
They are telling us fantatiscal Hi Tech futuristic shit to charm the shit out of idiots the same buttplugs that secretly wish Zombies were real. Because their life is so boring and they are so gullible. That is who AI is designed and targeted for. The rest of sane minded people understands that its just sophiticated illegal data collecting. And I'll fight it smash it itno a sparking smoldering heap before it dominates my life.

No WiFi and I'm make it very wet, and I'll make sure to expose cuircuts where I find them.

9   indigenous   250/250 = 100% civil   Jun 17, 1:52pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

The world has been being automated since the invention of the wheel. The economy has expanded since the beginning of time by trade, specifically comparative advantage.

It is more efficient to do more of what you do that is the most profitable and to sub out / off shore those things that others can do.

Has been that way for a loooong time.

AI will create jobs PERIOD because of trade.

10   Tenpoundbass   1198/1200 = 99% civil   Jun 17, 2:20pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

AI in industrial applications has been around forever. The new push is to normalize the survailance state on steroids.

We've got plenty of AI applications and have had them for a long time. AI smart enough to pick just one Rotten apple falling out of a flat bed truck full of them and blow it out of the stream before the apples hit the hopper.

11   goat   15/15 = 100% civil   Jun 18, 3:35pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I'm not sure what the specific technical definition of AI really is, but I don't feel that we really have AI. We have programs that have become very sophisticated in recent years, and we write these programs to do very specific things. Eg, to analyze the video images of a bunch of apples to identify the rotten ones so that they can be extracted. I don't think there's really any intelligence in this...many tens of thousands of human labor hours went into refining and iterating the development of this software, writing rules to tell it how to behave. Granted, the knowledge of techniques and code for image analysis is reused and tuned for each individual application, and so with this reuse there's a recent proliferation of software that "has eyes" because each subsequent application needs only lower-cost incremental tuning. But, I just don't feel it's right to call it "intelligent"...I think the word "automation" is more apt for what we have today. Admittedly, I don't know where I would draw the line and start calling something true AI, but my gut tells me we're still a long way away from it.

Anyway....I feel the pursuit of AI will (continue to) create jobs. I'm not sure what the net effect is when you consider the jobs lost due to the automation we currently build along the way. But, once we acquire a true AI which can pass for a human, I find it hard to believe anything but utter job destruction will result from the ensuing wave of unprecedented automation. Then again, the need for a job will likely decline with it. Society will probably become very volatile at the onset.

12   PeopleUnited   371/371 = 100% civil   Jun 18, 8:46pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Tenpoundbass says

What do you think will come first, a total surveillance society where every move, every transaction, every word and action is monitored or a war/disaster that totally destroys the grid and society as we know it?

13   BlueSardine   690/705 = 97% civil   Jun 18, 9:29pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

All true. However the elephant in the room is all the jobs are for AI Bots...

Heraclitusstudent says

(AI) will create 823,734 jobs by the year 2021

indigenous says

AI will create jobs PERIOD because of trade.

Comments 1-13 of 13     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
patrick's 40 proposals
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home