forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
750,799 comments in 77,169 posts by 11,010 registered users, 4 online now: APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE, komputodo, Patrick, YesYNot

new post

Changed browsers from Chrome to Safari and really enjoying it

By Patrick   Feb 18, 1:28pm   17 links   1,217 views   17 comments   watch (2)   quote

Much more pleasant experience somehow. Feels faster and more elegant.

Maybe it's optimized for Mac in a way that Chrome cannot be, since Google does not have the Mac source code I assume.

#browsers

Comments 1-17 of 17     Last »

1   Strategist   2005/2010 = 99% civil   Feb 18, 3:53pm  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick says

Much more pleasant experience somehow. Feels faster and more elegant.

If Apple makes it, it must be better.

2   APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE   1340/1340 = 100% civil   Feb 18, 4:50pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Five years ago, Safari was an embarrassment. Now it all but makes toast and is stable.

3   Rashomon   266/266 = 100% civil   Feb 18, 5:26pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I use a Mac, but I have to say I prefer the look of Chrome. Guess it's just what I'm used to at this stage.

4   RealEstateIsBetterThanStocks   203/203 = 100% civil   Feb 18, 8:18pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Strategist says

Patrick says

Much more pleasant experience somehow. Feels faster and more elegant.

If Apple makes it, it must be better.

Google makes a lot of noises with their new phone but guess what their market share is? 0.5%.

5   jazz_music   876/877 = 99% civil   Feb 19, 12:02am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Safari is my favorite browser.

I got a lot better at using it. It is deep with features.

Nothing against Firefox but Safari feels smoother and offers no major frustrations.

Chrome used to feel sleek but steeped in the big brother push of the Borg empires of Google and Adobe. Clashes cropped up.

6   Patrick   2214/2214 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 3:28pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I could not ever get videos to stop autoplaying in Safari, so moved back to Chromium.

Disappointing. Click2play just was not stopping the videos.

I think Apple does not want users to have the option to have a quiet experience. If they did, they'd put in an option to stop all autoplay for all kinds of video.

7   Dan8267   3625/3672 = 98% civil   Mar 20, 7:00pm  ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote

Patrick says

Autoplay is evil. It is the modern form of the blink tag.

Autoplay and other "slap you in the face with a dick to get your attention" tactics are inherently disrespectful. Companies that use them should not be at all respected.

8   jazz_music   876/877 = 99% civil   Mar 20, 7:21pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Dan8267 says

Agreed 100%

9   zzyzzx   981/981 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 8:22pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Dan8267 says

Autoplay is evil. It is the modern form of the blink tag.

I'm thinking the same thing about webpage push notifications as well.

10   CL   58/58 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 8:53pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Update your flash? I just did and I think it gave a quick button, disable auto play.

11   jvolstad   195/195 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 8:57pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

I rather like Edge. After a few updates, it seems to be working well. I have IE for a backup.

12   Patrick   2214/2214 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 9:27pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

zzyzzx says

I'm thinking the same thing about webpage push notifications as well.

Those work only with Service Workers, right?

I've never gotten a webpage push notification. Is it just a popup?

13   BayAreaObserver   1032/1032 = 100% civil   Jun 2, 3:29pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

The new HTML5 videoaudio API has privacy issues on desktop Chrome

HTML 5 new API allows us to grab the audiovideo output right from the browser. No need for cumbersome native Windows interfaces or weird browser plugins. Both Firefox and Chrome (and Edge soon) allow any JavaScript code to gain access to the laptoptabletphonewhatever camera and microphone.

This is great, since it enables some great application like Google Hangouts and a lot of other video chats sites. But it also has some security hazards. To deal with those hazards, the browsers developers created two barriers that should prevent or at least mitigate privacy violation.

Full Article With Lots of Technical Details: https://medium.com/@barzik/the-new-html5-video-audio-api-has-privacy-issues-on-desktop-chrome-5832c99c7659

Also at: A recently discovered vulnerability in the popular Google Chrome browser could allow a hacker to record audio or video from a device’s microphone or webcam without any indication to the user.

14   Patrick   2214/2214 = 100% civil   Jun 4, 2:51pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

Actually Opera may be the best I've tried so far.

Free built-in VPN. Make your requests come from other countries!

15   BayAreaObserver   1032/1032 = 100% civil   Jun 4, 2:59pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

@Patrick, I'm playing around with a new pc that is running the Windows7 option. Any reason why the formatting stuff for your site isn't working right on this one. The pc I normally use is setup the same way...opted for Win7Pro over Win10.

If you have any thoughts on this Patrick, let me know. I going to shut this one down right now. Later...

16   Patrick   2214/2214 = 100% civil   Jun 4, 3:10pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote

Thanks for telling me. Can you post a screenshot of what's not working?

17   BayAreaObserver   1032/1032 = 100% civil   Jun 4, 3:39pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote

@Patrick. Too late, I'm back on one of the other pcs. This one and the other one both came with an option for Win10 or Win7Pro64Bit and on both I opted for WIn7. This one the shortcuts for Italics and Bold work but not on the newer one. Kind of thinking something didn't load right and I have to call in tomorrow or whenever. I will advise though when I go back on it.

The quote function for Windoz still isn't working but not worth your time to mess with.

Thanks.

Comments 1-17 of 17     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
patrick's 40 proposals
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home