Comment Policy

By Patrick   Follow   Sun, 6 Mar 2011, 11:09am   12,898 views   67 comments
In Menlo Park CA 94025   Watch (0)   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

The comment policy is Insult Another User, Get Suspended

• Say whatever you want, just be polite about it.
  • It's not what you say, it's how you say it.
  • I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it, as long as you say it in a polite way.

If someone is deliberately insulting another user, please dislike their comment. Moderators will get notified of each dislike. A net three dislikes will put a comment into moderation, where it will get reviewed, and probably deleted.

Users who willfully insult another user will get suspended for a day. The sentence will double for each subsequent offense: 2 days, 4 days, 8 days...

« First     « Previous     Viewing Comments 28-67 of 67     Last »     See most liked comments

1. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

28   7:16am Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

American in Japan says

OK...Who ignored Patrick??

For some reason, I found this hilarious.

I saw in the other forum where someone took a photo of a full toilet and thought it was disgusting... but when I re-read this forum just now, I realized that I started it.

Wow. Behold the power that is me!

2. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,292 comments
    Baltimore, MD

29   7:18am Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

elliemae says

I saw in the other forum where someone took a photo of a full toilet and thought it was disgusting... but when I re-read this forum just now, I realized that I started it.

http://www.ratemypoo.com

3. zzyzzx

Follow
    Befriend (10)
    861 threads
    7,292 comments
    Baltimore, MD

30   7:44am Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

The whole jail section should maybe have a background pic with bars in it.

Maybe something like this:

Or whatever you find that you really like.

4. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

31   8:21am Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Ooh, I like the bars! Will do. Shit flinging will also be allowed (and free) in Jail.

Yes, one person is ignoring me. Seems fair that the rules I impose should apply to me too.

I was up at midnight last night pissed at the work I have to do to deal with users who can't play nicely, so I deleted the three worst offenders:

* The guy who just posts hate for realtors, insults users by calling them bitch realtors, and continuously changes his name and icon.
    * Shrekgrinch, again. I just say no to "libtard" and "libruhl".
    * GameOver, who freaked out about the concept of Jail because he was sure he'd be in it.

The first guy had 31 ignores, which is a record by far. Next highest is Apocalypsefuck, but in spite of talking about the coming cannibal anarchy, actually seems like a good guy.

5. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

32   1:33pm Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (2)  

Patrick says

Ooh, I like the bars! Will do. Shit flinging will also be allowed (and free) in Jail.

Sounds like a typical Friday night.

6. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

33   3:54pm Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

ShrekBastard says

How many ignores did I have?

I think it was 15.

ShrekBastard says

And why can't people just ignore people they don't like and leave it at that?

Because I keep getting complaints and have to explain things over and over. More work for Patrick = ill-tempered moderator.

ShrekBastard says

I don't recall seeing me in 'jail'. Was I? Or was due process as outlined here ignored in my case? Just wanna know.

No one has been in Jail yet. Have to fix up a few things to get that working.

7. ¥

Follow
    Befriend
    35 threads
    5,700 comments
    Bellingham, WA

34   8:20pm Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

"And why can't people just ignore people they don't like and leave it at that?"

ie. "Why can't I just shit all over your site as much as I want?"

8. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

35   8:36pm Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

Apocolypsefuck is damn funny - with his dark, forboding sense of humor he gets his points across. And he never personally attacks, which is more than I can say for the other guys.

ShrekGingrich wanted dueprocess? Why doesn't he get his own site and get his own due process on?

You've spent a chunk of time on the babysitting, hopefully it will stop.

9. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

36   8:40pm Thu 9 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

So, I just looked at the users, and I've got the most number of "dislikes." 33 - and nomo has less.

I'm better than nomo! nah nah nah nah nah nah!

I suspect its from those people who were banned, but I could be wrong. I've been wrong before. Btw, I was noticed at a stoplight in Vegas, a guy waved and mouthed "elliemae" to me as he passed (and he used more than one finger). It's the bumpersticker.

10. TMAC54

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    70 threads
    930 comments
    San Leandro, CA

37   7:52am Fri 10 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

Because I keep getting complaints and have to explain things over and over. More work for Patrick = ill-tempered moderator.

Patrick should focus on Patrick.net Achieving (left right) Unity for personal enlightenment and the benefit of mankind. The readers should take responsibility for rehabilitating those focused on destruction. Even if writers as extreme as Tony are jailed, They are still accessible to express their MIND.

What would a Jailed writer have to do to end up in the HUNG sector ?

11. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

38   8:52am Fri 10 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Yeah, I'm not sure the sheer number of ignores a person has on him is a good indication of trolling, which is what this is all really about.

The fact that Apocalypsefuck now has the highest ignore count, after the recent executions of realtor hater, Shrek, and Game Over, pretty much disproves that a high ignore count indicates trolling.

Plus, I can imagine trolls collaborating to ignore certain users to get them jailed, especially if you automated the process.

12. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

39   9:03am Fri 10 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

I was up at midnight last night pissed at the work I have to do to deal with users who can't play nicely, so I deleted the three worst offenders:

* The guy who just posts hate for realtors, insults users by calling them bitch realtors, and continuously changes his name and icon.
    * GameOver, who freaked out about the concept of Jail because he was sure he'd be in it.

Oh, no! You got rid of all their comments again, too. There's a purpose to keeping up bad arguments for bad philosophies. It makes sure that other people don't follow those arguments.

It would be better to mark the user as "suspended". Create a table, say SuspendedUsers:

create table SuspendedUsers (UserId int not null, DateTime ReleaseDateTime);

Then if the user tries to log in with the correct email/password, you don't log them in, but rather redirect to a page saying "You're account is suspended until 2012-02-11 11:00 UTC or 2012-02-11 11:00 PDT.

I think this would punish the offenders more since they can't just reregister and they can't see their unread forum lists, but it would preserve the threads. Plus, the release is automated since you just compare the current DateTime against the max(ReleaseDateTime) for the user whenever the user tries to log in.

And you can show everyone the number of times the user has been suspended.

select count(ReleaseDateTime) from SupendedUser where UserId = ?

13. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

40   9:06am Fri 10 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

Darn it. I lost a friend!

14. Nomograph

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    104 threads
    2,848 comments

41   8:26am Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Patrick says

I had that guy on ignore from day one. He was an obvious troll.

Patrick says

No big loss; he can still use his MarsAttacks persona if he wants.

Patrick says

This is at least his third banning. I linked to some of his previous trolls that were preserved through the quoting system, and he freaked out.

What I would like to know is who posts under multiple usernames from the same IP address? Any chance of posting that?

15. Vicente

Follow
    Befriend (8)
    269 threads
    6,026 comments
    Davis, CA

42   9:34am Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

I've removed all my IGNORE settings to see if the coast is clear. Thanks!

16. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

43   9:42am Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Dan8267 says

Oh, no! You got rid of all their comments again, too. There's a purpose to keeping up bad arguments for bad philosophies. It makes sure that other people don't follow those arguments.

It would be better to mark the user as "suspended". Create a table, say SuspendedUsers:

You're right. I should not have deleted all that. The problem is that I have this "nuke" button and it's so tempting to use it. Wipes out everything about that user. I use it all the time for spammers.

I really have to get a "suspend" button working.

Nomograph says

What I would like to know is who posts under multiple usernames from the same IP address? Any chance of posting that?

Yes, I'll have an "aliases" link soon. It will just show all users who posted from the same IP address, so it won't be perfect. Two people at the same company might have the same IP because they go through the same proxy server.

Vicente says

I've removed all my IGNORE settings to see if the coast is clear. Thanks!

Probably pretty clear now.

17. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

44   10:54am Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike (1)  

I just reset all my "ignores" to none. If I get out of hand, can I ignore myself?

18. TMAC54

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    70 threads
    930 comments
    San Leandro, CA

45   10:57am Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

"My Friends Will Sing No More" Awesome, Dynamic !

At the risk of sounding Facetious. Why not add a button so a persona could not access what Is written ( about them )

19. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

46   1:45pm Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

TMAC54 says

Why not add a button so a persona could not access what Is written ( about them )

Couldn't he see it simply by either not logging in or logging in another another account?

20. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

47   1:46pm Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

Patrick says

The problem is that I have this "nuke" button and it's so tempting to use it.

Please don't ever run for president. :)

21. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

48   1:47pm Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (3)  

Patrick says

Yes, I'll have an "aliases" link soon. It will just show all users who posted from the same IP address, so it won't be perfect.

Awesome.

22. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

49   2:38pm Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

elliemae says

I just reset all my "ignores" to none. If I get out of hand, can I ignore myself?

Eschew Obfuscation

Sorry, ignore won't work on yourself. Kind of like real life.

TMAC54 says

Why not add a button so a persona could not access what Is written ( about them )

If they just logged out, they could then see everything. Unless I do some kind of "private chat room" thing. I could do that.

OK, no more nuking of real humans.

23. TMAC54

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    70 threads
    930 comments
    San Leandro, CA

50   7:34pm Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Dan8267 says

Couldn't he see it simply by either not logging in or logging in another another account?

Yes Dan, By the signs on the doors, I intended to imply Overkill.
    Instead of the Jailing terminology, even suspended. How about using Real Estate terminology. If we violate comment code, we would be "Quieted"
    If that is too boring "SHARK BAIT" might be used

I still believe enlightening the jailed, or the suspended, or "the shark Bait, as to the type of rule that was broken, might allow them to recoup and benefit.

24. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

51   9:10pm Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (2)   Dislike  

Actually, I'm sure that people are aware when they're obnoxious - and that's what they're going for.

25. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

52   11:38pm Sun 12 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

elliemae says

Actually, I'm sure that people are aware when they're obnoxious - and that's what they're going for.

I've never understood being an asshole to strangers on the Internet. Sure, if someone's constantly being a dick, you call their bullshit for what it is. But what is up with people who deliberately troll and start flame wars? Seems like you'd have to be a real loser to get your kicks annoying random people.

26. TMAC54

Follow
    Befriend (9)
    70 threads
    930 comments
    San Leandro, CA

53   6:55am Mon 13 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

We can speculate as to why certain individuals high jack threads, only to post senseless destructive criticism.
    do they just seek Attention ? Schadenfreude ? ? ?

I ass u me Patrick would like to increase circulation. No ?
    I enjoy perspectives from the entire I.Q. range in any culture. But I simply look elsewhere if the information has turned from enlightening to an infantile food fight.

I would like to see certain negative behavior placed in a "QUIET" section by the readers, (via several readers clicks) not exclusively one editor.

27. bg

Follow
    Befriend (15)
    51 threads
    451 comments
    Pacifica, CA
    Premium

54   8:02am Mon 20 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

Quiet zone great idea. Was taking it outside not working?

28. bg

Follow
    Befriend (15)
    51 threads
    451 comments
    Pacifica, CA
    Premium

55   8:06am Mon 20 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (2)  

elliemae says

So, I just looked at the users, and I've got the most number of "dislikes." 33 - and nomo has less.

How could you have an ocean of dislikes? you are the nice lady who is smart and even tempered. You have a dog for your picture. A happy dog. How can that be???

29. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

56   1:22pm Mon 20 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (4)   Dislike  

bg says

How could you have an ocean of dislikes? you are the nice lady who is smart and even tempered. You have a dog for your picture. A happy dog. How can that be???

Sometimes I get a bit mean... especially when a hijacker makes every thread about politics. I also have a problem with people who act condescending, yet aren't able to get their message across due to grammar or spelling. A few errors, no problem. With so many spell checks available, there's no excuse for so many errors a post is difficult to read.

But I get what you mean - I'm so flippin' awesome, I can't imagine why someone wouldn't like me.

30. Dan8267

Follow
    Befriend (17)
    1,061 threads
    13,596 comments
    Boca Raton, FL

57   3:56pm Mon 20 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

I suspect that a few people "dislike" any political statement that doesn't confirm their beliefs. For example, a conservative would dislike any statement that climate change is real and man-made, and a liberal would dislike any statement that Obama has failed in any policy area.

Let's face it. America has become so polarized that people only want to hear things that confirm their own beliefs. And if you say anything that even slightly goes against their beliefs then they conclude that you are their polar opposite and are completely evil.

Luckily there are still some people in our country capable of rationally discussing controversial issues. And those debates are the greatest. I have far more respect for someone who rationally debates an issue, regardless of whether or not I agree with his position, than someone who resorts to personal attacks and deliberate misinterpretations.

31. TPB

Follow
    Befriend (1)
    65 threads
    1,209 comments

58   5:13pm Mon 20 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike (1)  

I just dole out dislikes by just making it known.
    And folks are more than welcome to reciprocate.
    If I were interested in being rated and graded, I would have a Facebook account.

32. CL

Follow
    Befriend (12)
    187 threads
    1,917 comments
    Emeryville, CA

59   5:23pm Mon 20 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

elliemae says

But I get what you mean - I'm so flippin' awesome, I can't imagine why someone wouldn't like me.

I am afflicted with the same disease. When you are well-liked, it's like the go%&*^#$#mned paparazzi everywhere you go.

33. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

60   7:18pm Mon 20 Feb 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (3)   Dislike  

CL says

I am afflicted with the same disease. When you are well-liked, it's like the go%&*^#$#mned paparazzi everywhere you go.

If you're not a celebrity, they're called "stalkers."

34. gromitmpl

Follow
    Befriend
    1 threads
    118 comments

61   9:52pm Fri 23 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Can you add a disagree link. I had been hitting "dislike" when I disagree but I dont want people thrown in jail simply because i disagree w/ them. So I guess Ill stop hitting the dislike link.

35. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

62   9:53am Sun 25 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

gromitmpl says

Can you add a disagree link

...and perhaps an "I don't totally agree, nor do I disagree - in fact, I'm completely apathetic about this post."

While we're at it, we need an "I absolutely love this post," an "I'm having a bad day so I'd like to take it out on someone anonymously over the interwebs by clicking a negative for their post."

Finally, I'd like one that says, "I believe in unicorns." Patrick, please get right on this.

36. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

63   4:08pm Sun 25 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

Don't worry, no one goes to jail unless they're clearly intending to insult other users. You can dislike all you want. If something gets a net 3 dislikes and goes into moderation, I'll probably just approve it again right away and it will get out of moderation.

37. rootvg

Follow
    Befriend (7)
    1 threads
    814 comments
    Danville, CA
    Premium

64   4:52pm Sun 25 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike (1)  

TMAC54 says

Patrick says

Patrick should focus on Patrick.net Achieving (left right) Unity for personal enlightenment and the benefit of mankind. The readers should take responsibility for rehabilitating those focused on destruction. Even if writers as extreme as Tony are jailed, They are still accessible to express their MIND.

What would a Jailed writer have to do to end up in the HUNG sector ?

How much invested ? How much back ? What's the risk ?

They said you was hung.

And they was right!

38. freak80

Follow
    Befriend
    65 threads
    5,519 comments
    Corning, NY

65   9:32pm Sun 25 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

You can't get rid of apocalypsefuck! That guy is hilarious.

39. Patrick

Follow
    Befriend (55)
    5,665 threads
    6,349 comments
    male
    Menlo Park, CA
    Premium

66   1:04pm Tue 27 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like   Dislike  

I didn't get rid of Apocalypsefuck. I don't know why he hasn't posted lately.

40. elliemae

Follow
    Befriend (25)
    473 threads
    7,867 comments
    Saint George, UT
    elliemae's website
    Premium

67   9:40pm Tue 27 Mar 2012   Share   Quote   Permalink   Like (1)   Dislike  

Patrick says

I didn't get rid of Apocalypsefuck. I don't know why he hasn't posted lately.

Can't you just conjure him up? How dare he take time off from us?

« First     « Previous comments    

Premium member Patrick is moderator of this thread.

Email

Username

Watch comments by email
Home   Tips and Tricks   Questions or suggestions? Mail p@patrick.net   Thank you for your kind donations

Page took 502 milliseconds to create.