Patrick's comments

« First    « Previous    Comments 4469 - 4508 of 4508    Last »

Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 9, 6:57am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Illegals are not here for our benefit.

Most of them are here primarily to drain cash from the US and send it to Mexico.

Legal immigrants don't send nearly as much out.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 10, 3:22am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hugolas_Madurez says
Quigley says
I’m mostly in agreement with Wookieman. Give those who have shown good faith a path to citizenship

Fuck, no.

Right! They have already shown bad faith by breaking into the US. They have proven that they do not respect our laws.

I have a problem with rewarding crime.

There are plenty of qualified people with valuable skills who are going through the correct legal process for citizenship. The people who cut in line by jumping the border are shitting on those good people.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 10, 3:28am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

We are compelled to own cars in order to keep our cash flowing to Saudi Arabia.

Efficient public transit would use far less fuel.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 10, 3:32am   ↑ like (6)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I always admired Perot after he loudly and clearly objected to other candidates evading the questions.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:34am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

OK, true, but having lived in California for 20 years, I'm used to good wine, and that's what I prefer.

Maybe the Guinness is slightly better in Ireland than in the US, but not dramatically. Though one bartender (at Murphy's on the main pedestrian street in Galway) told me he pours a "savage" pint. Which was pretty funny, because it's a very slow traditional place, couple of old men loitering there all day.

Jameson is Jameson everywhere. Scotch drinkers look down on it, though I always like it. It does not vary.

But wine -- that's a real adventure, and the best wine is really worth paying for. Wine varies dramatically.

Many people did indeed seem to get shitfaced in Ireland. I watched a group of three older women on Inis Oírr drink three bottles, so a bottle of vodka each. Each! I'd need hospitalization after that. I can drink a bottle of wine no problem, but damn.

Now I'm in Chicago visiting relatives on the way back to CA.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:37am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The Orange Parade? I don't think I'd feel welcome.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:40am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I took this photo of the Orange Hall when I was in Belfast two years ago.

Note that all the windows are covered with mesh to prevent people from throwing rocks through the windows.

Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:41am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Crap, I hate how iPhones do you the unwanted "favor" of rotating pictures without asking.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 7:48am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I was just reading about the Catholic Church was complicit in killing off Irish Gaelic as the dominant language too.

The English gave them money for a Catholic seminary at Maynooth, but with the condition that everything be in English. Bastards took the money and betrayed the language.

The English were actually more afraid of the Irish language as a cause for separatists than they were afraid of Catholicism.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 11, 6:26pm   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

We should keep on quoting the NY Times' 2016 predictions of DOOM if Trump wins the presidency.

So incredibly wrong.

So incredibly partisan.

Such bad "journalism".
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 12, 5:08am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hugolas_Madurez says
jazz_music says
Store invasions like this have happened before as far back as 50 years ago when I was in high school. The kids were mostly middle class and white.

Booooooooooooooooolshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

I agree. Never in my life have I seen or heard of white kids doing anything like what black kids do routinely, for example the flash mob muggings of people on BART.

It's always black kids, and exclusively black kids. Never whites, Asians, or even Hispanics.

Of course most black kids probably wouldn't do that. But when it happens, it's always blacks.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 13, 7:20am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Eventually, all empires overreach and there is violent rebellion by those who have been trapped and exploited by the elite.

When it happens here, those who are fighting for their lives against the elite will be called "racists" and "Nazis" just because those are the worst terms the elite can call them.

But it's really all about the elite sucking the marrow from the bones of everyone else.

They are doing it in three main ways :

1. Housing debt
2. Unpublished medical prices
3. Student loan debt
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 13, 9:22am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WillPowers says
“Now, do I agree with every move that he makes? No, I don’t. But the truth is he has produced more than anybody else. He has. If we look at this country, I would say that we are better off today than we were eight years ago or six years ago.”

Yes, this is the important point.

I feel exactly the same. Trump has not done everything right. I don't like his cozying up to the Saudi fucks who killed so many Americans on 9/11.

But the economy is doing dramatically better than it did under Obama, and Trump has had the balls to challenge the intolerant left on lots of issues. Trump deserves our support.

The Democrats deserve to lose until they remember that they used to represent working people. Now they represent only globohomo incorporated.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 14, 10:42am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Leftists are extremely violent and intolerant.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 15, 7:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
My weed stocks have done well for me overall:

Symbol TotalChg TotalChg%
APHA -5,641.32 -28.91%
CWBHF +16,827.78 +86.14%
KSHB +3,550.95 +17.66%
CNTTF +4,397.55 +22.79%

OK, I have to take that back. Looks like CNTTF is on the verge of getting de-listed:

Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 15, 8:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thanks @Hircus Sorry for the delay, I have been traveling.

I fixed the syntax error (good find!) but don't understand the sizing problem.

Could you email an original of the crying face image to me at p@patrick.net and I'll see if I can reproduce the problem on my development version of the site.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 15, 8:58pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FortWayneIndiana says
Rehabs

Rehab for weed would be easier than rehab for coffee. It's a non-issue. Not physically addictive in the least.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 15, 9:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thanks @FortWayneIndiana !
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 15, 9:37pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

From the guy who sent it:

My wife sent it to me. I think she found it on Zillow. Zip code 95014.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 16, 8:22am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says
FortWayneIndiana says
Rehabs

If insurance pays for it, the rehab centers can charge $25k for a week long program.

Lol, this is true.

The rehab industry just has to pay off the AMA and get "marijuana dependence syndrome" listed in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual), which is the "source of truth" for whether something is a disease or not. Then the insurance is obligated to pay.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 16, 8:54am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@5cdfb That does not sound like me. I doubt I deleted it.

Please make your argument again here (or maybe you just did!) and watch, see that it remains visible.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 16, 5:11pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Beautiful!
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 16, 5:15pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Onvacation says
If you can make your point without attacking others it will not be deleted. Some people have a hard time with that.

True.

Please do experiments! See that any comment which is not attacking other users or the site is allowed to remain.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 18, 8:07am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
This, this is a much more impactful issue on GOOD wages (which I know you’ve mentioned in the past) I’d argue when compared to the illegal immigrant problem. These Indians will send cash back home at a much higher volume over all versus an illegal just based on the higher incomes they’ll get here. If they walk off the plane and will take $50k for what currently is a $70k job that is statistically a major shift.

@WookieMan you're probably right. Those Indian low-level programmers are probably suppressing wages and sending back cash at higher dollar volumes than mere illegals.

Both are allowed here for the same reason though - to benefit employers at the expense of US workers.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 18, 9:21am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I agree, except I think the government has a function in keeping businesses honest, as in the Bible:

Deuteronomy 25:13-16 ESV
You shall not have in your bag two kinds of weights, a large and a small. You shall not have in your house two kinds of measures, a large and a small. A full and fair weight you shall have, a full and fair measure you shall have, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. For all who do such things, all who act dishonestly, are an abomination to the Lord your God.

Preventing business fraud was the law in ancient Israel and it's still a good idea now.

So I would say that the government should force all healthcare providers to publish all of their prices and to require them to give reasonable accurate estimates before any non-emergency treatment. Then the free market should have some ability to force prices down.

When people are given an estimate of $20 for an aspirin, they are damn sure not going to pay that. They are forced to pay that only when the price is hidden until after they take the aspirin, the way it is now.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 18, 8:01pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Rin sure, religious Muslims are the very worst in terms of dividing and weakening societies because they do not assimilate and are prone to terrorism, but in general, more homogeneous societies are more likely to thrive.

I'm not saying to exclude everyone of different origins, only that people here should want to be American above all other identities. That just can't happen with continuous mass imports from the 3rd world. Assimilation should be the primary goal. And part of that is literal genetic mixing. Even a country which is too diverse can cure itself eventually by cutting off immigration until all the current residents have intermarried and feel themselves to be one people and not many. E pluibus unum.

It's like trying to eat a big meal. You can only eat so much at a time. Eat too much and you will get sick, or vomit.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 18, 8:51pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I actually thought this was real at first.

The "diversity" and "racism" craziness has gotten so bad that it's totally plausible.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 18, 9:06pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Cleese may have been literally correct about London, if you look at Amsterdam:

The racial and ethnic makeup of Amsterdam as of 2012 was 49.5% Dutch and 50.5% foreign ancestry.

Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 18, 9:08pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says
Always thought uniforms would take a lot of stress off kids.

That's a good point I had not considered. Kids compete on status all the time. Harder to make anyone feel bad about their clothes if you are all wearing the same clothes.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 19, 7:55am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There are only men and women.

There are no other sexes.

Note that "sex" as a description of sex was deliberately replaced in public discourse by "gender" as a deliberate attempt to de-sexualize the discussion, by none other than Ruth Bader Ginsberg.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg brought gales of laughter at her old law school Friday when she explained why she started using the term gender discrimination instead of sex discrimination.

“I owe it all to my secretary at Columbia Law School, who said, ‘I’m typing all these briefs and articles for you and the word sex, sex, sex is on every page,’ ” Ginsburg said.

“Don’t you know that those nine men (on the Supreme Court)--they hear that word, and their first association is not the way you want them to be thinking? Why don’t you use the word gender? It is a grammatical term and it will ward off distracting associations.’ ”
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 19, 7:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Perhaps this has something to do with the price plunge in Cupertino.

Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 19, 8:42pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Housing Bubble 2 Lost its Mojo in the San Francisco Bay Area: House Prices Drop 8%
by Wolf Richter • Jul 18, 2019 • 68 Comments • Email to a friend
For the 9 counties, the median price in June dropped back to June 2017 levels.
Today we got the final numbers from the California Association of Realtors (CAR) about the status of the housing bubble in the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area, which includes some of the most expensive sub-markets in the US, such as the most expensive zip code in the US, plus the Wine Country (Napa and Sonoma), Silicon Valley (Santa Clara and San Mateo), San Francisco itself, beautiful Marin just across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, the East Bay (Alameda and Contra Costa), and Solano County, toward Sacramento.

In eight of these nine counties, house prices fell in June compared to June last year. June is around the seasonal peak in terms of prices, but by Bay Area standards, it just wasn’t very peaky. The median price of house sales that closed in June dropped 8.1% compared to June last year, which put it back on the same level as June two years ago
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 20, 10:47am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tenpoundbass says
They think they have silenced her? They just handed her a megaphone and a big fat pay check.

This is true. She is doing the right thing by using liberal intolerance to get free publicity. Now I know about her, and I'm sure many thousands of others do. And her views are quite reasonable if you actually take the time to read her Tweets. Nothing remotely "Nazi" about them.

And she is damn hot.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 20, 10:49am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It's not just supply and demand.

It's also lending standards. Fortunately, lending standards are tighter than they were during the great housing bubble of 2007.

My prediction: Bay Area housing prices will slowly decline for the next decade.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 20, 11:03am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Absolutely.

NuttBoxer says
I don't care if all 9 million Londoner's were 100% Saxon blood, they would still have shit-tons of homeless. Centralization breeds stress, isolation, and contempt for your fellow man.

Look at Tokyo. Even more people than London, essentially zero homeless.

Sure, big cities will always have some homeless because they are collecting points for people who just can't make it because of mental illness or hard drugs, but people from the same genetic pool naturally care about each other much more than they care about those of different backgrounds. The best we can do now is to stress our common culture and slow the flood of illegals.

We should definitely try to bring back the melting pot. That's the only way we can assimilate newcomers and regain some national unity and the benefits that come with that unity.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 20, 3:10pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Women are interesting because they are:

1. a commodity, with nothing much that many other women don't also have
2. irreplaceable, if you've fallen in love with that one

So they are at both ends of the value spectrum.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 20, 9:48pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@HEYYOU

Would also enforce the law against those who broke into this country and illegally remain here?
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 20, 9:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

everything says
they know RE is a good investment and will continue to buy

No matter what the price, or the rent they can get?

The math matters a lot.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jul 20, 9:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

She's here legally, and does seem to love this country.

It's the ones who are are here illegally or who hate this country who should be sent back.